The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm tellin' ya... You get a taste of nice weather, and you start shedding layers. I was freezing on the way to work this morning with the wind whipping off the lake. I took of my Bar Mitts a couple weeks ago and put away my shoe covers...

Below are some good basic tips about riding gear for the cold weather season

▪ Keep your hands and feet warm. Invest in a good pair of gloves and some high-quality motorcycle boots.

▪ Keep your torso warm. If your torso is cold, it will restrict blood flow to your hands and feet.

▪ Wind-proof your body. Make sure the outside layer of your outfit is made of a material that will stop the wind.

▪ Seal the openings in your outfit. Don't let air come in through the neck opening in your jacket, the sleeves of your shirt, or the bottom of your pants.

▪ Choose a good insulating material. Wool is the best natural fiber insulating material, but synthetics such as Thinsulate work well also.

If your bike allows it, you may also want to consider installing a windshield. If you plan to ride in cold weather on a regular basis, a windshield will keep you warmer than if you simply dress in appropriate motorcycle apparel.

ahhhh, blue skies are good for the soul. Thanks for the afternoon pick-me-up Gene. :-) 

I finally got back into bike commuting. Rode to and from work Monday and Wednesday. Working from home today but rode my bike four miles to my doctor's appointment.

Monday on my way to work I encountered something I NEVER thought I'd encounter in Chicago: another person on a bike who ACTUALLY STOPPED AT A STOP SIGN!! Here I was thinking I was the only Chicago cyclist who's not better than everybody else and isn't entitled to ignore the stop signs (including the ones on Clybourn that are *SPECIFICALLY FOR THE BIKE LANES!!*), red lights, etc. I complimented the guy. :)

Yesterday I took the LFT home. I think it was on Wilson where the street crosses the trail, with stop signs. Some car was going past at about 40 miles an hour and completely blew through the stop sign, didn't even slow down, then got on LSD and floored it. I have video of it, too! I'd love to turn that over to the authorities if I knew for sure that something positive would come of it.

I wish there was a feature for me to *love* these pics. Always so wonderful to see spring flowers. :-)

Don't you have some control over how the site functions? :-)  Looking at Gene's photos usually makes me want to leave work and get over to the lakefront.

Not really. But I'm working on the solution for us to move to a more updated platform so hopefully we'll get lots of awesome new features we don't currently have. :-) And YES, I feel the same. I love Gene's photography. It's my daily addiction.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service