Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138971

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't really encounter any ice, but I went north up to Roosevelt again to avoid the 18th street bridge issues post snow fall and rain. Everything seemed fine, but the police had blocked off a portion of Ogden (hopefully only temporarily) at the juncture of Ogden and Roose (juvie/FBI corner). It maybe colder, but the wind and ice from yesterday was IMHO so much worse. My wife said my face looked like Renee zellweger post chemical peel from the ride.
Clark is a sheet of ice from Wrightwood down to Illinois and probably all the rest of it up or down. That was super treacherous! Sun's out so if you can wait 2 hours it'll probably all be melted.

I knew it would be bad this morning from my ride home at 9 last night but didn't think it would be this bad. I knew the city wouldn't bother to salt but still. I had to walk my bike to Clark just to get going.
Took it easy and had no issues. Couldn't tell if the roads were crunchy from salt or ice. Wiped down the ride when I got to work regardless.
There was no salt anywhere on City streets!
Rode the backstreets to the Metra. Given the ice on the streets, that was the right choice...
i took side streets then loaded the paddy wagon (kona) on the bus then exited downtown at clark/lake and rode through the loop. a bit nerve racking. saw alex (evanex) on the way to work too
Took the LFT. Plenty of ice. Only took one spill.
A long, slow, contemplative ride on LFT this morning. Surprised to see only one or two bike tracks on the southside; I'm accustomed to seeing more after a snow. Almost bailed, but I couldn't ride yesterday, and the forecast promises an improvement by this evening today, so I didn't feel I could pass it up today.

Of course, I slipped and fell on some misjudged ice. My bike took it like a champ - no damage that I have so far noticed. A bruised hip and arm and a tear in my windbreaker, but I also came through it relatively unscathed. Still glad I went out, though.
lots of ice on N. Clark too. Once I got into E-town it was actually less icy. Lots of crunching... you know, from the ice under my tires. Reminded me of when I used to say to myself... "man I wish I had a fat bike." and of course... HEADWIND!!!
I took a spill on the LFT as well heading north. There was a nasty spot of ice at the underpass at the harbor at 31st. Looking forward to all the ice disappearing for the evening commute.
Geez - is that where we're all falling? I fell at that underpass, too!
Yeah, it is a tough spot. You pick up speed with the down slope, water collects and freezes there, and the turn causes your front tire to lose what little grip it has on the ice.

Hope your bruises don't cause you to much anguish.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service