The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, streets were in fair shape.  It it's only the 1" of snow that's in the forecast, I'll venture home as well.

Same here. Ride this morning was not bad at all, but snow this afternoon means that I take public transit home, and maybe get to do some christmas shopping on the way home...

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

Yes, but if we get the snow that is forecast my bike will be spending the night at the office.

Have you figured out how to get your bike to do some work while it is sitting there overnight?  Mine is quite recalcitrant.

Duppie said:

Same here. Ride this morning was not bad at all, but snow this afternoon means that I take public transit home, and maybe get to do some christmas shopping on the way home...

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

Yes, but if we get the snow that is forecast my bike will be spending the night at the office.

Kicking myself for not riding today, because of the heavy afternoon snow we're slated to get. I plan on riding tomorrow, though.

I wussed out this morning and took the train. Just the quick bike jaunt (maybe 5 minutes) was enough to make my hands hurt from the cold. My beater doesn't have Bar Mitts, and I wasn't wearing the best possible gloves. But still...

Hopefully I'll be back in the groove tomorrow.

I got on my trike this morning and it was moving slowly. The brakes were frozen, so I squeezed them until they worked. Still slow. They gear shifting was frozen, so I wiggled the rear derailleur until it worked. Still going slow. I had a flat on the right tire.

This is when I realized that the bicycling gods were not with me. I took the bus in. 

Grrrrr.

Clearly you were not meant to ride today.

Gene Tenner said:

I got on my trike this morning and it was moving slowly. The brakes were frozen, so I squeezed them until they worked. Still slow. They gear shifting was frozen, so I wiggled the rear derailleur until it worked. Still going slow. I had a flat on the right tire.

This is when I realized that the bicycling gods were not with me. I took the bus in. 

Grrrrr.

A man walking near the county jail asked me, "Have you seen any palm trees?"

I couldnt give him a witty response because I was too focused on not running him over as he walked straight at me in the street.....

Looking forward to the ride home! 

If he was walking South, just tell him to keep walking...

T.K. 8.4 mi said:

A man walking near the county jail asked me, "Have you seen any palm trees?"

I couldnt give him a witty response because I was too focused on not running him over as he walked straight at me in the street.....

Looking forward to the ride home! 

I had a terrible experience trying to ride home early last week and have chickened out since then due to all the snow I still see on the streets. Can anyone advise whether Wells, Kinzie, Dearborn (all the way up to Chicago northbound) are generally rideable on a Divvy bike, as of this morning? I'm not afraid of a little bit of hard pack snow, but I don't like ice nor plowing through biggish snow piles, nor having to weave into the motor vehicle travel lane often.

Funny, he was actually headed North, presumably to his parked car. 

in it to win it 8.0 mi said:

If he was walking South, just tell him to keep walking...

Kinzie between Wells and Dearborn was fine. Dearborn generally pretty good southbound except next to 55 W. Wacker.  It is rideable, however.  Cannot help with the rest.

Michelle Stenzel said:

I had a terrible experience trying to ride home early last week and have chickened out since then due to all the snow I still see on the streets. Can anyone advise whether Wells, Kinzie, Dearborn (all the way up to Chicago northbound) are generally rideable on a Divvy bike, as of this morning? I'm not afraid of a little bit of hard pack snow, but I don't like ice nor plowing through biggish snow piles, nor having to weave into the motor vehicle travel lane often.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service