The Chainlink

No hipsters.

I'm just looking to bike the metropolis with
a group of people who are sane,creative,love
single speeds or fixies,and just love to bike.

Living in the South Suburbs sucks....great roads and
inclines,but no real bikers.

Views: 307

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

So, I will attempt to interpret a revised version of what you are looking for:

Seeking Fixie Riders to Ride With
I'm just looking to bike through Supermans home town with
a group of people who are sane, creative, love
However, they must belong on said fixie, if you do not belong on it I will not ride with you through the empty streets of the southern Illinois corntown of metropolis. All that running through stop signs upsets the farm folk.
I will NOT ride with people who do not carry their essence of fixie riding, which i think you have to take from a velodrome or something.
You have to know everything to ride with me, duh!? And the only way possible out there to ride is the way I ride. I've seen you other people ride, but you aren't really riding because you don't ride like me. Always breaking through the middle of interesections with your skidding and shenanigans. And I don't want to ride with Assholes.
So, do you want to come ride with me?

"there are certain people
that don't belong on fixies and I consider
them to be one of them."
-bb

Seriously????

Never once did you have to single out a group of people who you somehow made synonymous with a form of biking you love. and then go on to call them assholes.
Maybe you could have explained that you didn't want to ride with a certain type of rider, but you didn't have to call out a group of people, which very many mind you have only strengthened the presence of bicycles in a city you wish to come ride in, only making your experience a little more enjoyable than 5 years ago. And second, what says all hipsters ride bikes? let alone fixies? let alone like assholes? I don't consider myself a hipster, does that make me a hipster?, but I can only assume there are some of these people riding around who don't ride like assholes, GASP, which may know some cool rides in the city GASP, and that now have no desire in the world to ever show you. GASP!

"I saw a guy skid into an intersection back
to back on purpose while cars were trying
to pass through....Drivers were pissed...."

as much as you hate it, this is still "real " riding. maybe not yours, maybe not smart, maybe a little like frogger, but it doesn't mean you have to condone it. Tolerance is a good thing to have... but none of this means that you can't ride with a hipster.

"real bikers" "essense" "real riders"

why don't you say what these are instead of what they are not. Bashing what you may judge to be half this community if you lined us up is not, as I stated, a good start.
That's funny, the only people I ever hear talk about the "essence" of fixies are hipster assholes...

For the record, I like coffee and NPR and I like bicycles, fixies included, so I guess technically I might qualify to be a hipster. And since both denying and admitting to partaking in hipsterdom makes one a hipster, we're all hipsters!!
i find this to be amusing...ive been called a hipster on a few time cause i drink lots of cheap beer, ride fixed, and a few other reasons...but at any rate i wouldnt consider myself to be one...i dont know what essence is when referin to riding a bike. i love ridin..im to drunk to talk about this...ill be back. haha.
Its cool....

No worries.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Damn writing. I meant that as a joke (hence the smiley). *smiles*

I do wish you luck in finding fellow single-speeders to ride with.

ishnock aka the blue baron said:
Yeah. I know.....but there are certain people
them to be one of them....

I refuse to ride with assholes and people
that don't respect the essense of fixed riding.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
I doubt anyone actually sees themselves as a hipster. Best of luck :)
nobody ever thinks they're a hipster. except scenesters. and scenesters are wannabe hipsters.

and for the record, i like the feeling of riding fixed, but not the feeling of not having two brakes to squeeze and save me when cab dives in front of me making a right turn. skidding or no skidding.
Pipe down. You didnt have to write a NYT column to express your perception of my written material.

It's just a view, an opinion, nothing more.

Really. Lets focus on the point or main idea of this thread.......Would you like group up with other riders to ride through the metro?

nik was here said:
So, I will attempt to interpret a revised version of what you are looking for:

Seeking Fixie Riders to Ride With
I'm just looking to bike through Supermans home town with
a group of people who are sane, creative, love
However, they must belong on said fixie, if you do not belong on it I will not ride with you through the empty streets of the southern Illinois corntown of metropolis. All that running through stop signs upsets the farm folk.
I will NOT ride with people who do not carry their essence of fixie riding, which i think you have to take from a velodrome or something.
You have to know everything to ride with me, duh!? And the only way possible out there to ride is the way I ride. I've seen you other people ride, but you aren't really riding because you don't ride like me. Always breaking through the middle of interesections with your skidding and shenanigans. And I don't want to ride with Assholes.
So, do you want to come ride with me?

"there are certain people
them to be one of them."
-bb

Seriously????

Never once did you have to single out a group of people who you somehow made synonymous with a form of biking you love. and then go on to call them assholes.
Maybe you could have explained that you didn't want to ride with a certain type of rider, but you didn't have to call out a group of people, which very many mind you have only strengthened the presence of bicycles in a city you wish to come ride in, only making your experience a little more enjoyable than 5 years ago. And second, what says all hipsters ride bikes? let alone fixies? let alone like assholes? I don't consider myself a hipster, does that make me a hipster?, but I can only assume there are some of these people riding around who don't ride like assholes, GASP, which may know some cool rides in the city GASP, and that now have no desire in the world to ever show you. GASP!

"I saw a guy skid into an intersection back
to pass through....Drivers were pissed...."

as much as you hate it, this is still "real " riding. maybe not yours, maybe not smart, maybe a little like frogger, but it doesn't mean you have to condone it. Tolerance is a good thing to have... but none of this means that you can't ride with a hipster.

"real bikers" "essense" "real riders"

why don't you say what these are instead of what they are not. Bashing what you may judge to be half this community if you lined us up is not, as I stated, a good start.
Yes, I have a brake, my love ...on both of my bikes : The nishiki in the pic ( which is a single speed) and the Miyata ( front break... fixie)

chixieonfixie said:
A front brake is the law? Where, in Michigan? Portland? Not here, as far as I know. In those places the law dictates the necessity of “a brake which will enable the operator to make the braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.” This could be your body weight if you wanted it to be, it doesn't technically have to be a hand brake. I agree to ride w/o a brake here is v. hazardous given how rainy and slick the conditions can be a large part of the year, but to my knowledge not a law..although if someone has materials online indicating otherwise, I would like to see them.
By the way, I noticed the absence of a brake cable in your signature nic bike pic, which Im assuming is the 'blue baron'.
The question is, do you have a brake?

(posting from my iPod...so autocorrect corrects things
that it shouldn't sometimes) That was a good one. I do have a sense of humor.
I saw a guy skid into an intersection back
to pass through....Drivers were pissed....

A front break is fine.Plus it's the law...

Natalie said:
I'm assuming by "breaking" you mean braking and not breakin' like "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo"--but do you mean that using brakes is improper, or not using brakes? I'm so confused anymore.
Anyway, good luck with your search! ishnock aka the blue baron said:
My start is fine....and i meant what I said

my comments were not pointed at real riders, just those that ride around like assholes and disrespect other riders,the road,etc....half of them don't ride properly(breaking,etc) and they think they know everything when they don't. My opinion and observation.period.

nik was here said:
hmm, not off to a great start.
That's right...Your the original hipster

joe said:
i find this to be amusing...ive been called a hipster on a few time cause i drink lots of cheap beer, ride fixed, and a few other reasons...but at any rate i wouldnt consider myself to be one...i dont know what essence is when referin to riding a bike. i love ridin..im to drunk to talk about this...ill be back. haha.
This is funny ...seriously.I laughed.

Not really, though.

Drinking cheap beer or wearing plaid shirts don't make you a hipster...but jumping into the bike world because it's the thing to do, or it's the new fad is. That is my definition of a hipster.

Vando said:
That's funny, the only people I ever hear talk about the "essence" of fixies are hipster assholes...

For the record, I like coffee and NPR and I like bicycles, fixies included, so I guess technically I might qualify to be a hipster. And since both denying and admitting to partaking in hipsterdom makes one a hipster, we're all hipsters!!
This is a great thread. ....

Everyone has their own definition of what hipster means or what a hipster is

Some lads and girls think hipster means a person that wears plaid shirts and drinks stank beer.....

Some think it means a person that hangs out at coffee shops verbally jagging off about the next
entertainment fodder.

Are they incorrect? ......No.

That's their definition.

My definition of the word: A person that poses and postures.....A person that does something for the
style and look of it, as oppose to the art and function of it. A person that does not truly represent the
very thing that they are a part of or do.

Good night folks and thank you for coming out. I adore you all.

and last but not least, cycle or die.
dude, go to bed

you're reaching with midget arms.

Video_Drome said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^am i the only one who thinks the last part is creepy?
midget is not the preferred nomenclature, dude.

what south burb are you from?

dude, go to bed

you're reaching with midget arms.

Video_Drome said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^am i the only one who thinks the last part is creepy?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service