The Chainlink

Ok, I know I had mentioned in another thread about how I don't care for those velcro strap thingies to keep my pants out of my drivetrain. Well, on Saturday, I almost totalled myself when my chain grabbed my pant leg. I went down, but my helmet and a little luck prevented any serious hurt.

One ruined pair of pants and a little embarrassment later, and I have reconsidered the whole "geek strap" thing.

Views: 119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

good to hear you are ok after the spill. i have caught my shoelace in their a couple of times and nearly wrecked because of it. keep those pants in check!
You forgot the mention the most important thing...How is your ride?

All jokes aside...It is never fun wiping out, glad you are OK.

-Ali
Actually, my bike came through pretty much unscathed. I think I was subconsciously trying to do my best to protect it, instead of myself!

Ali said:
You forgot the mention the most important thing...How is your ride?

All jokes aside...It is never fun wiping out, glad you are OK.

-Ali
that's happened to me, but when left with the choice with falling or tearing the shit out of my pants, i pedaled hard enough to tear my pants to me knee. . which was embarrassing, but gave me enough of a chance to dismount safely.
I used to feel the same way about those straps until my chain ate a pair of pants of mine. I did not want to fall so, like Rodimus, I just pedaled faster and ripped my pants pretty much off of one leg.
During the winter I usually wore boots so this was not a problem, but now that (mostly) warmer weather is back, I use the Velcro strap thingy that I made myself.

Now my problem is that I forget that the thing is on my leg and I walk around for half the day with it on.
I'm with h3, I'm a sock tucker 4lyfe. I find wearing woolen snow sport socks usually work the best for me, since I can pull them up pretty high, they taper and hold steady about my calf, and plus they're really colorful.
I just ride without any pants on. No Problem

There are the old Metal Pant Clips

there are Deuter Pants Protectors
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/bike.php

Available at MikesBike Shop in Palatine 847 358 0948

Ever try Knickers?

Race Face Knickers
I really like those knickers as shorts, any recommendations on brands?
I bought cool reflective straps from Performance that not only protect my pants but also help me stay visible to other drivers at night and in rain. Martin, can you post the link here? I couldnt find it on the website. I actually bought a pack for my roommate too. We love them. I also have ruined enough pants and almost lost it enough. Sometimes I tuck into my sock but prefer to just take the strap on and off.
Jon said:
I really like those knickers as shorts, any recommendations on brands?

Race Face, Endura, Borah, Zoic to name a Few
This winter and all through our raw spring, I'm wearing riding (cowboy) boots. Perfect for tucking in your pant legs. Don't cleat on, however.
Just reading that makes me worry thinking about what kind of traction you get on your pedals... I wouldn't have the "cobbles" to ride like that.

David Travis said:
This winter and all through our raw spring, I'm wearing riding (cowboy) boots. Perfect for tucking in your pant legs. Don't cleat on, however.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service