The Chainlink

Hypothetical Scenario-Bike as Vehicle for Escaping Disaster

Having gotten into the Zombie genre of late, I've been thinking that a bicycle would be a great escape vehicle to get away from the undead.  So many stories focus on cars getting stuck in freeways and survivors becoming zombie fodder while trapped in the traffic or after running out of gas and being stranded as the ravenous hordes come closer.

A bike would likely be able to navigate around many traffic jams and the engine (rider) could utilize flexible fuel sources.  Heck, as many of us know, you can even cary quite a bit of stuff with a properly loaded bike.

I was quite happy to see a bike used in the pilot of The Walking Dead, but haven't really seen them in other books or movies.

As long as the scourge doesn't involve the very fast or very smart Zombies, you could probably get by okay.  Plus, the quiet nature of the bike could mean for stealthier travel than a motorcycle or scooter.

Any thoughts?  Any other disasters where a bike would come in handy?

Views: 631

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen those at American Science and Surplus, though I imagine any military surplus store would carry them.

I'm not sure if a machine gun is quite ride for Zombies, you'd waste bullets on non-head shots.

I'm all about precision, plus a smaller caliber firearm would have less kickback affecting the bike handling.

Chris B said:
I thought these panniers would make a good addition to a bike, if you could just mount a machine gun:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?457884-New-Hard-Sided-Pann...
I liked the square laundry detergent buckets. Cheap, waterproof, and simple.

Another option would be to build panniers out of 1/2" plywood that would just plop down onto the back-rack in one big piece, and drape over and around it. The wood could be painted and sealed and would be pretty water-proof if the top covers were hinged right.

I rigged up a mount that bolts to my backrack that holds my Givi E36 motorcycle pannier on top but it's a bit high to put much weight in.

Chris B said:
I thought these panniers would make a good addition to a bike, if you could just mount a machine gun:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?457884-New-Hard-Sided-Pann...

The glue in patch kits dry out after a year or two and starts to become a lot less effective. I'd say the way to go is to fill your tires with shredded rubber or something similar or get solid tires. Not as comfortable but a lot less maintenance over time. Also going over to fixie with a really easy gear or having the stuff to move over to fixie would also be appropriate.

jamimaria said:
That's certainly a valid point. There would certainly be a lot of glass and metal debris scattered around a distyopian area. However, couldn't spare bike parts be scavenged like any other resource? Certainly one could loot a bike shop or REI just like one could loot a grocery store?

Plus, patch kits are lightweight and can patch a lot of punctures. Though, of course, you wouldn't want to be patching a flat while the hordes are approaching, but you wouldn't want to be in that position when your car runs out of gas or breaks down either.

S said:

LarryN said:
A while back I saw a movie called 'The Road', about a post-apocalypse world where bands of cannibals stalk the earth while the main characters, a father and his son, are trying to get to the south. Most people are on foot. During the entire movie, I couldn't help but wonder, where are the bikes? Riding a fat tired bike would certainly be better than hoofing it.

The screenwriters probably never thought of bikes at all. But I'd figure after a year or so, the lack of tubes would render the bike somewhat no-operable. I guess you can always stuff the tires with rubber or something else to prevent your rims from getting damaged but the ride wouldn't be very comfortable.

tricycles and trailers may be the way to go...

...and perhaps the classic woodman's pal would make a useful tool for a beheadding.
Sheldon Brown (RIP) has a lot to say about airless tires...

S said:

The glue in patch kits dry out after a year or two and starts to become a lot less effective. I'd say the way to go is to fill your tires with shredded rubber or something similar or get solid tires. Not as comfortable but a lot less maintenance over time. Also going over to fixie with a really easy gear or having the stuff to move over to fixie would also be appropriate.

jamimaria said:
That's certainly a valid point. There would certainly be a lot of glass and metal debris scattered around a distyopian area. However, couldn't spare bike parts be scavenged like any other resource? Certainly one could loot a bike shop or REI just like one could loot a grocery store?

Plus, patch kits are lightweight and can patch a lot of punctures. Though, of course, you wouldn't want to be patching a flat while the hordes are approaching, but you wouldn't want to be in that position when your car runs out of gas or breaks down either.

S said:

LarryN said:
A while back I saw a movie called 'The Road', about a post-apocalypse world where bands of cannibals stalk the earth while the main characters, a father and his son, are trying to get to the south. Most people are on foot. During the entire movie, I couldn't help but wonder, where are the bikes? Riding a fat tired bike would certainly be better than hoofing it.

The screenwriters probably never thought of bikes at all. But I'd figure after a year or so, the lack of tubes would render the bike somewhat no-operable. I guess you can always stuff the tires with rubber or something else to prevent your rims from getting damaged but the ride wouldn't be very comfortable.

Oooh, very good! While you'd loose some of the manueverability of a bike, you'd still accomplish a sustainable fuel.

I imagine your pedicab could wokr quite well, too!

shapeshifter said:

For $20 you can get a Cold Steel Kukri -everyone should own one! Be ready for the zombie times!

shapeshifter said:

...and perhaps the classic woodman's pal would make a useful tool for a beheadding.
heheheh... i reckon so jamimaria. it's been a while since the gun turret was dismantled from the flatbed of landslide but some form of defense sure would've come in handy when i accidentally found myself on i90 during the snow storm on the way to indiana dunes this weekend.

found myself hitting a lot of debris all along the route but the tricycle's distribution of weight must have helped to prevent the potentiality of a flat.

jamimaria said:
Oooh, very good! While you'd loose some of the manueverability of a bike, you'd still accomplish a sustainable fuel.

I imagine your pedicab could wokr quite well, too!
Perhaps a tandem bike would accomplish some of these aims? The stoker could shoot and slash, but still provide some power and retain maneuverability.

Perhaps we need to do some bike mounted fighting drills?

...sounds like a zombie first response team should be formed for future maneuvers.

This tandem would do nicely. Shooter has a clear view, while the captain controls the direction

jamimaria said:
Perhaps a tandem bike would accomplish some of these aims? The stoker could shoot and slash, but still provide some power and retain maneuverability.

Perhaps we need to do some bike mounted fighting drills?

James Baum said:
Sheldon Brown (RIP) has a lot to say about airless tires...

/div>

All of Sheldon Brown's arguments presuppose that you can get new tubes readily and that flatting won't result in a chance of dying to zombie hordes. I'd take the harsh ride with a rubber airless tire if it means that I don't have to worry about trying to find new tubes 5 years after all the factories have closed.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service