The Chainlink

Welp, it looks like dreaded Polar Vortex is upon us again. What is your "go-to" gear to keep warm when riding in frigid temps? Inquiring minds want to know!

Views: 1404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Top:  I have a base wool layer, usually 200. Or thicker when it's below 10 degrees. Next layer is my new favorite Smartwool PhD SmartLoft Divide Hoodie

I usually wear a Yowie for my neck gaiter that's thin enough that I can breathe through, but I seldom put up higher than my mouth. My face, I usually use a moisturizer to keep the cold at bay and it works really well.

Bottom: I wear a Sugoi sub-zero tights when it's below 10 degrees. Otherwise I wear a Columbia base layer with the dots to keep my body warmth - under my pants. Talk to PJ at Kozy's for the Sugoi sub-zero tights. They're real great.

Shoes, I wear the same Giro as Andy's and with regular socks.

The hands are still the coldest. I wear these http://www.rei.com/product/872301/pearl-izumi-elite-softshell-bike-...

They're good for the amount of time I get to work. The trick is to get one that's a bit larger to keep some warmth inside.

Today's gear kept me pretty comfortable-

Top: Tshirt, merino wool shirt, 3in1 jacket with the fleece liner zipped in

Bottom: Pearl Izumi Amfib tights, snowboarding pants, Helly Hansen rain pants

Feet: Smartwool socks and Costco uggs (they're ugly but they're waaaarm)

Hands: Smartwool liners, REI Tahoma gloves

Head: merino wool Buff balaclava style, hat, neoprene face mask, cheap goggles

I got the goggles from REI's November sale on a whim and they're amazing! So much better than sunglasses and also handy for holding the neoprene face mask in place when I undid the velcro in the back so I could breathe more. I actually really like having the mask further from my face, it blocked the wind and trapped a bit of warm air in front of my balaclava, which kept my balaclava ice free while the mask got icy. I might try to rig that to my helmet straps

How do I stay warm during a polar vortex? By staying the fuck inside! I rely on walls, a roof, a couch and a blanket. And I do not get on my bike. No way. (I know. This makes me not-hard. But, oh well.)

By dressing in layers and layers.  Feel like a gladiator dressing for battle.

J, do the googles fog up? I'm guessing my sunglasses or safety glasses are fogging up in this cold as a result of exhaled breath creeping up onto them from under my neoprene mask?

What did you pay for the cheap goggles? thanks!

I had some goggles a couple of years ago but they didn't fit under my home-made visor (from a ball cap) attached to my helmet. Now that I have a Bern with a smaller built in visor perhaps it is time to re-visit the google thing.

(Full disclosure: due to a bunch of eye issues I have not been riding, but I've been walking the 3.4 miles home from work and that seems just about as chilly as riding the bike - and I plan to get back on the bike ASAP.)

Jamais716 said:

Today's gear kept me pretty comfortable-

Top: Tshirt, merino wool shirt, 3in1 jacket with the fleece liner zipped in

Bottom: Pearl Izumi Amfib tights, snowboarding pants, Helly Hansen rain pants

Feet: Smartwool socks and Costco uggs (they're ugly but they're waaaarm)

Hands: Smartwool liners, REI Tahoma gloves

Head: merino wool Buff balaclava style, hat, neoprene face mask, cheap goggles

I got the goggles from REI's November sale on a whim and they're amazing! So much better than sunglasses and also handy for holding the neoprene face mask in place when I undid the velcro in the back so I could breathe more. I actually really like having the mask further from my face, it blocked the wind and trapped a bit of warm air in front of my balaclava, which kept my balaclava ice free while the mask got icy. I might try to rig that to my helmet straps

Ha.... "bank a little badass" :) < true though... true :)

Irvin Steinert said:

You got it! As Steven R. Covey would say it expands your "circle of influence"

Yasmeen said:

I saw this article and it made me smile. My favorite reason for riding outside in winter? "You'll bank a little badass."

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/5-reas...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service