The Chainlink

Welp, it looks like dreaded Polar Vortex is upon us again. What is your "go-to" gear to keep warm when riding in frigid temps? Inquiring minds want to know!

Views: 1404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Today: Not anything too special, switched from normal thin layer thermal bottoms to the mid thick ones, two layers of thinrunning gloves with my Meteor Mitts outer layer for wind protection. I arrived at work a toasty cyclist.

Thermo Soles I understand that though they worked well for me others did not get similar results. I use them in slightly oversize MTB shoes and then put thermal shoe covers on over that.  I only use them for commuting and I don't stand on my pedals in that situation so maybe any rougher use might cause them to fail. I charge the night before and then while I'm at work before the ride home. (24 mile round trip commute)

Specialized winter riding gloves. Scott goggles. Rain pants over long thermal biking/jogging tights. Novara rain jacket over the thermal Pear Izumi LS jersey over thermal sports ware under garment. Studded tires keeps me upright. Neoprene (type) Balaclava and a rain cover over the helmet. The rain ware blocks the wind.

Truthfully though, if it gets below 15f I don't ride to work.

These do not let me down. Super cheap at every Army Surplus store everywhere, made of wool so they work wet or dry. Get just the inserts, not the leather shell. On the worst days last year, I doubled up on these with the wool 5-finger inserts underneath and felt fine?

Thanks for posting a pic David, What a great winter gear find!

I love the winter gear ideas. I am also a big fan of the ski goggles. Makes it easier to see when it's snowing.

David of the North (David606xx) said:

These do not let me down. Super cheap at every Army Surplus store everywhere, made of wool so they work wet or dry. Get just the inserts, not the leather shell. On the worst days last year, I doubled up on these with the wool 5-finger inserts underneath and felt fine?

When it is as cold as it was this morning, I want my face covered, but I hate balaclavas.  Bern helmet with winter kit, ski goggles, and a light woven wool scarf covering neck, cheeks, and chin work for me.

Don't over dress.  Use a good base layer and, depending on the temp I will wear a ski parka or a polartec jacket that will ventilate when necessary.  I use a neck gaiter to cover the lower part of my face when needed and a winter helmet liner with ear covers.  I use hunter's mitts and add a hand warmer if needed and use toe warmers in my shoes.  The hand and toe warmers can be reused after short trips by putting them in a zip lock bag, squeezing out the air and stopping the reaction. Ski goggles can be a plus, but ski helmets get really hot and sweaty. Easy, but don't overdress.

Marc

I started keeping a "gear log" each day and it's really helped take the guess work out of how to dress for the conditions. 

I used to layer and layer 3 shirts, a sweatshirt a hoodie, scarf THEN a jacket.

My wonderful Christmas gift was Columbia base layers and a heat reflective shirt.

Doesn't work too well for wind block or just standing but once you get moving,generating body heat it's awesome. 

They also have a hat for $25 that I'm  gonna get.

Switch to wool socks and hikers, sweat pants under the jeans, and drop down a gear to pedal faster.

Fleece bala under the helmet and some goggles to keep the stinging winds from mine eyes.

Two layers on my bottom, three on my top.  Mr YAJ bought me a brighter and lighter top layer for xmas. Today, the only thing that was cold was my face at points of contact with my plastic glasses.  I think I'd better move to ski goggles so many refer to.  What type do you recommend?

I went to REI and bought whatever they had - about a medium price (I don't recall which brand). 

Here's a pic when I used them at a Cx race at Indian Lakes (it was snowing and quite cold). My face was very warm. Because of my asthma, when I race, I am more concerned with the cold than I am about being too hot. 

yaj 7.4 said:

Two layers on my bottom, three on my top.  Mr YAJ bought me a brighter and lighter top layer for xmas. Today, the only thing that was cold was my face at points of contact with my plastic glasses.  I think I'd better move to ski goggles so many refer to.  What type do you recommend?

A couple of years ago I bought Smith snow goggles from Sierra Trading Post.  They were closeouts--that is what Sierra does--and they don't have the ones I got. They still carry Smith and Smith does make goggles that are meant for women's faces.  I think mine were actually for small women's faces, cause they fit pretty well.  The pricing was not too bad.  The one problem with them is when I go home in the dark I don't like the tinted lenses.

I wear the plastic glasses down to about low 20s and just try to cover most of my face with a scarf.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service