The Chainlink

How do you feel about Bike Ambassadors / CPD safety outreach efforts?

For a Streetsblog Chicago post, on Thursday I interviewed staff from the city's Bike Ambassadors and the Chicago Police Department while they were doing an outreach event at Armitage/Milwaukee. The ambassadors were handing flyers to motorists and bicyclists reminding them not to use cell phones while driving and to obey traffic signals while biking. The police were flagging down adult cyclists who were riding on the sidewalk or who ran a red light and giving them (seemingly polite) warnings that what they did is illegal. For the Streetsblog post, what are your thoughts about these kind of outreach events? Do you think they're helpful in encouraging safe behavior by drivers and cyclists?

Thanks,

John Greenfield

Views: 1687

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Crazy David 84 Furlongs said:

Why Foster?  Why not encourage the development of a good parallel to Foster that can be made more bicycle friendly.  Like Bryn Mawr.  All that choking down Foster would do would make Bryn Mawr more dangerous and less likely to become what it shoudl be... a major East West Bike route.  

Bryn Mawr runs the short distance between Western Avenue and Pulaski Road.

Foster runs the entire distance from Harlem to the Lakefront.

Let me guess, you also support Critical Mass...

Yes.

Bob Kastigar said:

Foster Avenue is becoming a speedway to the expressways and enforcing the speed limits, stopping at red lights, and ticketing passing on the right isn't happening. Two lanes of traffic in each direction are not necessary. Traffic should be reduced to one lane in each direction, with a center divider for pedestrian crossing. A stop light should be added at Avers Avenue. Children are crossing Foster between and among Eugene Field Park and Gompers Park.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/a-road-diet-for-foster.fb28?source...

Bob Kastigar said:

Bryn Mawr runs the short distance between Western Avenue and Pulaski Road.

Actually Bryn Mawr runs well past Harlem.  It ends after Cumberland at the Forest Preserve.   Something has to be done between Western and Damen, but its a lot better choice than Foster. 

Foster runs the entire distance from Harlem to the Lakefront.

And it is a very very busy street already and the cars will have to go somewhere (People do not die on request).   These cars will dump onto Lawrence (which already has a deadly bike lane) and a number of other streets that have been comparatively bike friendly. 

Let me guess, you also support Critical Mass...

Yes.

Yup.   One of the many unrealistic people that do not understand that we are not going to accomplish anything by acting like a jerk.

Actually Bryn Mawr runs well past Harlem.  It ends after Cumberland at the Forest Preserve.   Something has to be done between Western and Damen, but its a lot better choice than Foster. 

Bryn Mawr is also interrupted between Pulaski all the way west to Milwaukee Ave. as well so something would have to be done for this section as well.

Bob Kastigar said:

Bryn Mawr is also interrupted between Pulaski all the way west to Milwaukee Ave. as well so something would have to be done for this section as well.

My comment
Uh, no. Not really. The stretch from Pulaski is actually one of the best stretches. It is certainly "closed to cars", but Bikes can ride right through. It cul de sacs at a bike trail head, but keeps right on going (albeit under other names). It is a great route. The best part is after Pulaski.

. It (Bryn Mawr) cul de sacs at a bike trail head, but keeps right on going (albeit under other names). It is a great route. The best part is after Pulaski.

But Bryn Mawr doesn't go where most people want to go, and the wandering around the various streets makes it a difficult route.

A simple plan:  add a bike lane to Foster, from the lake to Harlem Avenue.  One road, a simple route.

On Lawrence, repaint the bike lanes, they're all but worn out between Western and Milwaukee.

We will have to agree to disagree.   I think that anyone riding on Foster is fool-hardy and that trying to take Foster away from the cars will result in a horrific backlash.   Adding a bike lane won't solve anything.  All it will do is create another clusterF--k like that one Lawrence in which the Bike Lane is used by the very aggressive drivers to pass on the right, cut around cars turning left, and the like.   I don't bicycle on Lawrence or Foster and have no problem going from less than a mile to the lake all the way out past Harlem. 

We need to make bicycling acceptable for people outside of the 2%.

And Bryn Mawr is a route that could be used to do this.... not Foster which will simply make enemies.   Adding a bike lane to Foster is about as realistic a plan as eliminating Cars from LSD and the Lake Front.  

Bob Kastigar said:

. It (Bryn Mawr) cul de sacs at a bike trail head, but keeps right on going (albeit under other names). It is a great route. The best part is after Pulaski.

But Bryn Mawr doesn't go where most people want to go, and the wandering around the various streets makes it a difficult route.

A simple plan:  add a bike lane to Foster, from the lake to Harlem Avenue.  One road, a simple route.

On Lawrence, repaint the bike lanes, they're all but worn out between Western and Milwaukee.

+1

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Lawrence is an absolutely terrible place to ride, smack in the middle of several bike friendly neighborhoods ...

I've been riding on Foster daily for about a month now and I have to say that between ravenswood and the lake, Foster is really not bad at all.  There's traffic in the morning and evening rush hour periods but the cars certainly give cyclists enough space to ride comfortably and are fairly courteous. 

We will have to agree to disagree.   I think that anyone riding on Foster is fool-hardy and that trying to take Foster away from the cars will result in a horrific backlash.   Adding a bike lane won't solve anything.  All it will do is create another clusterF--k like that one Lawrence in which the Bike Lane is used by the very aggressive drivers to pass on the right, cut around cars turning left, and the like.   I don't bicycle on Lawrence or Foster and have no problem going from less than a mile to the lake all the way out past Harlem. 

We need to make bicycling acceptable for people outside of the 2%.

And Bryn Mawr is a route that could be used to do this.... not Foster which will simply make enemies.   Adding a bike lane to Foster is about as realistic a plan as eliminating Cars from LSD and the Lake Front.  

Bob Kastigar said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service