The Chainlink

Help me with a project THIS WEEK: Tell me about broken glass in your way!

Chainlinkers —

I'm doing a very short (like this week only) project about broken glass in the streets. I'd like to observe some broken glass in action, doing what it does best. I'm looking for the following things:

• Locations where there is glass in the bike lane RIGHT NOW, on the sidewalk or in a part of the road where a lot of bikes are riding, especially within 2 - 3 miles of the Loop (just given the time constraints for this project). You can post it here, you can message me, you can tweet it with the hashtag #brknglass.
  • Your stories about glass in the street/in the bike lane/on the sidewalk. Why don't you like it? What has it done to you? What would you do about it? What have you done about it? What do you recommend?
  • Your pictures of glass in the street/in the bike lane/on the sidewalk/places where it doesn't belong and/or pictures of flats and damaged caused by broken glass.

I hope some of you are able to help direct me to some good broken glass in the road (I will call 311 after I observe it, so it will be removed, eventually). I'll share some of my findings here on this conversation!

Thanks for your help, bikers of Chicago!

-Liz

Views: 627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I noticed a particularly nasty glass spatter this morning on the west side of Kedzie at Evergreen, alongside Humboldt Park.  As someone pointed out, Humboldt Park's borders generally have a lot to offer in terms of broken glass.
There have been broken Heineken bottles in the bike lane on the Franklin Street Bridge all week.
Great, thanks to Jim and Serge for the tip. I'll head over there in a little bit!
FYI — great tip on the Franklin bridge. I watched some this afternoon and I'll be back around the evening rush. Thanks again, and if anyone has any more stories or tales, keep them coming.
Haven't been on it recently, but I always notice a lot of glass on Clybourn.  I've also found that sometimes what looks like glass is bits of quartz mixed in with the pavement.  And in the winter polished bits of salt can look like glass in the sun.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service