The Chainlink

Hi all,

I hope this is the appropriate place to post, and if it's not then please forgive me on account of my surprise and dismay at what happened.

Tonight I locked my bike for about 6 hours while I was volunteering which took me far from the bike.

It was locked with a U-lock and cable wrapping together the wheels and frame. When I got back to it I saw that my handlebars had been broken off and were nowhere to be seen.

My two questions are:

Is this common?

What can/should I do now (as a general question about bike-related theft)?

I walked the bike home and it is sitting in my garage. Nothing else was taken and the locks were not broken.

This happened at Ravenswood & Leland (just south of Lawrence) somewhere between 6:30PM and 12:30 AM.

Is there any point in filing a police report? *Can* I file a police report? I don't know what to do in this situation.

Thanks for any help!

Views: 1508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would report this to the cops. If you for some crazy reason happen to find/catch the person that stole your bars and you dont have a police report filed the cops can do nothing. It only take a few min. to file and the cops will be on the look out for suspicious activity around that area. My bike was stolen in Aug. I filed a report and a day later found a homeless dirtbag with. Thank God I filed a police report or the cops coldn't/wouldn't have done anything.

I had a camera on me when I caught the guy and took photos of the whole thing:

http://www.thechainlink.org/photo/album/show?id=2211490%3AAlbum%3A1...
Do the police report; not to get your parts back but to document the crime.
One cheap solution that I used when my handle bars cracked was to use a 24 in. piece of 3/4 in conduit.
I put it on as temporary solution.
I have been using it for a year now and it is still ok

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service