The Chainlink

I mean I can't see you as I'm riding, cars have enough trouble "seeing" us and it's not that expensive.
Front and rear cat eye lights $30 I really don't want to be in (another) bike on bike accident.

#2 see if you can get the tax credit for biking to work http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/05/bicycle-commuter-credits.php

So far I've had 2 employers who didn't want to give me $20 that the govt' gives them but if enough push for it maybe, just maybe.

Views: 1683

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lights were being handed out at Milwaukee & Halsted (and Grand) last night. Rider next to me couldn't hear the ATA woman handing them out over his HEADPHONES. Thanks guy. No lights+headphones≠safe.

I don't really understand what is so "cool" about not wearing lights or having minimal lights. Can anyone explain this to me?
I don't know but there's quite a few people who ride brakeless, clipless, helmetless, and lightless. Usually wearing mostly dark colors with a chrome bag on a bianchi pista (okay, well riding a pista nowadays is like still wearing a trucker hat). Neon colored deep v's are a must.

I don't really understand what is so "cool" about not wearing lights or having minimal lights. Can anyone explain this to me?
Hey now! Don't go lumping clipless pedals in with lack of lights, helmets and brakes.
Minh said:
I don't know but there's quite a few people who ride brakeless, clipless, helmetless, and lightless. Usually wearing mostly dark colors with a chrome bag on a bianchi pista (okay, well riding a pista nowadays is like still wearing a trucker hat). Neon colored deep v's are a must.

It's all about minimalism and a freakish fasination with getting a bike as light as possible. Don't forget about the $50-100/each upgrade parts that shave an ounce here and there. Putting a light on -even a tiny plastic blinky might add back an ounce or three that they already paid hundreds to shave off their bike. Putting a front brake on would add nearly a HALF POUND!!!

It just wouldn't be cool if your bike topped 10 lbs -it'd be better if you could shave off even more .

I call this sickness Anorexia Velocipedia

Minh said:

Want to 2nd the strategy for having lights on the helmet as well as your bike. Your head can rotate while your bike stays pointing forward, which also helps with visibility to turning vehicles. I have not always been great about being well lit--mostly due to batteries going low, "shrinkage," lights falling off, etc. This year, I decided to get much more serious in honor of the fact that the long nights exist whether or not I like 'em.

1) wove front and rear lights on to my helmet, a la Todd Gee style. 2) Got a white trench coat 3) use lights on my bike, too.

But I think all the batteries are getting low so much look into the bulk buying.

So many great ideas on this thread >>> Bike Winter event on getting lit? I know Willow and Jane get reflective, so maybe this is already covered in their workshops. . .

See ya on the road ;-)
yes, yes (on a get a light workshop)!

Gin said:
Want to 2nd the strategy for having lights on the helmet as well as your bike. Your head can rotate while your bike stays pointing forward, which also helps with visibility to turning vehicles. I have not always been great about being well lit--mostly due to batteries going low, "shrinkage," lights falling off, etc. This year, I decided to get much more serious in honor of the fact that the long nights exist whether or not I like 'em.

1) wove front and rear lights on to my helmet, a la Todd Gee style. 2) Got a white trench coat 3) use lights on my bike, too.

But I think all the batteries are getting low so much look into the bulk buying.

So many great ideas on this thread >>> Bike Winter event on getting lit? I know Willow and Jane get reflective, so maybe this is already covered in their workshops. . .

See ya on the road ;-)
One could always lose a pound or two and then have plenty of extra weight free for real lights. Or drink an espresso less and get a gram per ml to play with, not counting the cup!

James Baum said:
It's all about minimalism and a freakish fasination with getting a bike as light as possible. Don't forget about the $50-100/each upgrade parts that shave an ounce here and there. Putting a light on -even a tiny plastic blinky might add back an ounce or three that they already paid hundreds to shave off their bike.
What's next? Suggesting a few less alcohol-themed rides?

Oh won't someone pllleeeaaasseee think of all the unconsumed beer?!?!

Allen Wrench said:
One could always lose a pound or two and then have plenty of extra weight free for real lights. Or drink an espresso less and get a gram per ml to play with, not counting the cup!

James Baum said:
It's all about minimalism and a freakish fasination with getting a bike as light as possible. Don't forget about the $50-100/each upgrade parts that shave an ounce here and there. Putting a light on -even a tiny plastic blinky might add back an ounce or three that they already paid hundreds to shave off their bike.
No
Is that really the best way to get lit on your bike though?

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
What's next? Suggesting a few less alcohol-themed rides?

Steven Vance said:
Let's promote easy-to-own lights?

Yes. I have the cat eye with rechargable AA's and they last nearly if not the whole year, over night charges them up.
Saw at CVS/Walgreens? a dual headlight for $19.99 2 separate bulbs looked like you could do a combo like 2 on blinking, one on no blink the other blink...
I think they are breeding - saw 9 on my commute in this morning between 5-6am, only saw one other rider with lights on. I usually only see one ninja on a typical morning commute, and he is a salmon ninja rider I usually encounter on Odgen near Jackson - didn't see him today however. Maybe his stealthness worked today!
just got these...they have two settings...strobe and steady. I like the strobe because it gets the attention better.http://www.rei.com/product/769615/planet-bike-spok-light-set

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service