The Chainlink

SALE PENDING - One last try. Don't make me sell this on eBay and have to find a box to ship it in, then pack it up. I am way too lazy for that. Please.

1984-ish Bridgestone 500. 57 cm seat tube, 56 cm top tube (center to center). Frame, fork, headset, almost brand new Shimano BB that's barely been used. Closer examination finds a few paint chips, so now I'm going to sell it to one lucky gal/guy/other for only $70. Seriously. What a deal! Please disregard messy kitchen photo. Thank you.

Views: 1348

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, GREAT frames at generous prices.

Yes. True. For real, these are nice frames that someone should be riding EVERY DAY. 

Also, I am trying to clear stuff out but would love to trade for a mixte frame or complete bike or anything in between.

what is the width on the hub for each frame? 126mm?

I'd so jump at the Miyata if it were the size of the Bridgestone.  

The Bridgestone is a sweet frame that fits me but I don't need any more road frames without Canti studs.   For a $100 that's a lugged steel steal.  It'd make a killer project bike.   I just pray that Drew McFixter doesn't buy it and bob all the hangers/braze-ons.  That'd be a crime against humanity. 

yea i am riding a 53cm Sh world tour, and it is great but a little tight, i would like to know the spacing on the wheels, it would seem a shame to have to spread the frame. The size looks like it would be just right.  It would make a great urban touring bike.

Spreading the frame on a steel bike is no big deal as long as you know what you are doing.   Going from 126 to 130, or even 135 doesn't really count as a "bend" so much as a "tweak."  No more of a big deal than adjusting the dropouts or the derailleur, which you'll have to do after spreading a frame anyhow.

Most of the times when I've spread a frame I end up getting the dropouts better aligned than the way they came from the factory and this is only using home-made DO alignment tools (cut in half axle and a string around the headset) 

On a steel full-sized frame it's no big deal and I wouldn't even worry about whether a frame had the right OLD when I bought it.  It's a simple fix.  On a BMX bike spreading the frame is another issue.  Much shorter stays, braced much more solidly, and the dropouts are often built into the chainstays halfway back to the BB shell.  No room to "tweak."   

But on a Road, CX or Touring frame with 700 or 27" wheels originally it's not a biggie. The amount you are bending the metal is almost totally inconsequential.   The frame-builder bent that tubing a LOT more when he was building it than someone who is just re-setting the OLD spacing of the dropouts. 

Sent a friend request/PM.

Frames are both 126mm spacing - also both were made for 27" wheels but will fit 700C with the right brakes. I've fit 130mm hubs in the Miyata with only minor effort. 

yeah - 4mm is only 2mm on each side. In such cases, with a steel frame one can usually spread the stays enough when mounting the wheel that spreading the frame (permanently) isn't necessary.

Alex said:

Frames are both 126mm spacing - also both were made for 27" wheels but will fit 700C with the right brakes. I've fit 130mm hubs in the Miyata with only minor effort. 

If you don't mind the decreased bearing lifespan in an axle that is thwanked and unevenly side-loaded when tightened down between crooked/splayed dropouts or the chunk/clunk/chunk bad shifting of a derailleur hanger that slightly misaligned, I suppose. 

Miyata sold, Bstone still for sale/trade.

One last crack at this. Help me avoid having to pack and ship this thing. Give her a good home. $70 bucks, for real.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service