The Chainlink

Planning for a Friday Morning Memorial for Neill Townsend to Raise Awareness about Dooring and Sharing the Road

IMPORTANT NOTE

The date for the memorial has been changed to FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19TH.
We will meet from 8-8:30 am at the northwest corner of Wells and Oak Streets.

Here is the link to the event page.

This is a new discussion based off of one of the threads of conversations in the discussion "Bicyclist killed at Oak & Wells Friday AM". Some folks were on board with the idea of holding a memorial on the morning of Friday, October 19th around the time the accident occurred, which would create the opportunity for it to serve as a chance to raise awareness about dooring and sharing the road at a high traffic time. Several people made good suggestions there. They are copied and pasted in a reply below.

If you have any suggestions or you're willing to help out, please comment here.

Once details have been worked out, I'll post it as an event. 

Views: 5517

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, thank you Kristy and Bliss! Sorry not to have said so before, when in work/plan mode I sometimes get caught up on details. I didn't mean to be rude. 

I like the bullet points, and don't think that the statute has to be cited.

Also, no tearing intended, simply my thoughts on the matter.

No problem, Melissa. Happy to help out.

My boss just approved the use of the office printer to print out about 100 of these. The only day I'll be able to do that before Friday is tomorrow so if I don't hear back from others I'll print out the flyer tomorrow in it's current state. Bliss, if you want to send me graphic A I could insert it into the file and print out some of those, too.

Good work!

Kristy Lapidus said:

Thank you, Thunder. I think the last pdf came out as portrait instead of landscape. See attached for update.

Thunder Snow said:

Beautiful work, Kristy and Bliss! It would be nice to have 2 or more different designs, since we now have several good choices available. Melissa, I get what you are saying about the "friend" tagline, but I think we can be forgiven if we consider both Neill & Clint as friends in spirit. Both Kristy and Bliss have donated much time and talent to this, and we shouldn't need to tear apart a campaign that apparently was approved several years ago by the anti-dooring folks who came before us.

I added the WBEZ map of doorings as a second page to be printed on the back...

Attachments:

Wow!  What a great idea!!

Kristy Lapidus said:

I added the WBEZ map of doorings as a second page to be printed on the back...

Thank you all for your amazing work and compassion.  My prayers to Neil Townsend's family all weekend long.  Please share all your ideas of what could be implemented for bicycle safety as I am gathering these for a meeting in the future.  Much appreciation and thanks.

Kristy, that looks great. Thank you so much for getting these designed and printed! And please pass thanks to your boss for letting you use the printer in your office for these.

Bliss, if you aren't able to get the PDF of your design "A" out for printing today, your efforts were not in vain! There's been a general consensus that having more than one design would be good for an educational campaign. Also, I can ask at my office if I can use the printer there to run off a few. I don't know if they'll say yes, but it's worth a shot.

Also, I remembered that I have a contact at Walter Payton H.S. I'll ask him if he knows the right person to whom I can email the event with an invite for the faculty, staff and students to join us.

I will add Clint's name to the event. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm also inspired by your passion to work to bring an end to these kinds of crashes.

Kimberley Nishimoto said:

Thank you all for your amazing work and compassion.  My prayers to Neil Townsend's family all weekend long.  Please share all your ideas of what could be implemented for bicycle safety as I am gathering these for a meeting in the future.  Much appreciation and thanks.

Kristy, well done with the rewording, and the map is a great idea.  Thanks to Kristy and Bliss and everyone who is working so hard to raise awareness in addition to coordinating the memorial tribute to Neill and Clint.

Services for Neill will be on Thursday and Friday in Kentucky.  I know many of his friends would like to attend the memorial here in Chicago, but cannot be in two places at once. 

Shoot, 

I've been away from my computer (for once)  I can get a pdf uploaded tonight when I get home from work.  Who should I send it to? Or just upload it here?

Should we delay it by one week, so that Neill's family and friends have a chance to attend as well?

efe said:

Services for Neill will be on Thursday and Friday in Kentucky.  I know many of his friends would like to attend the memorial here in Chicago, but cannot be in two places at once. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service