The Chainlink

Hey Chainlinkers,

Join experts from the Netherlands for ThinkBike Workshops: A Dutch Boost to Chicago’s Bike-ability. The free symposium will bring together Dutch bicycle
transportation experts, Chicago area politicians, planners and bike advocates,
to discuss how Chicago can become more bike-friendly.

Geoffrey Baer, WTTW Channel 11’s famous local travel documentary host, will emcee the event
. WTTW will launch Geoffrey's new show "Biking the Boulevards" in November and this is an opportunity to get an early taste.

The symposium features a keynote speech from Eric Gilliland, executive director of the
National Association of City Transportation Officials, on the state of
bicycling in Chicago and its opportunities

The event is free and open to the public Thursday, September 23 from 8:30-10:30 a.m. at the James Thompson Center
located at 100 W. Randolph, Chicago. RSVP is required at www.activetrans.org/dutchbikeplan.

Chainlink event listing here.

Thanks,
Ethan, with Active Trans

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wish I could attend such an event on a weekday morning (glad to be employed though . . .)
Reminds me of the time I attended a zoning revamp hearing on behalf of Break the Gridlock in 2003 to try to get them to reduce/drop the requirement for automobile parking with new housing--- it was a very well attended hearing at an auditorium on the DePaul campus-- one of us made a reference to Amsterdam, holding it up as a model of what things could be like here, and it drew a fairly large and unintended laugh from the crowd-- as I recall part derisive and part apparently assuming that the speaker was trying to be funny.

I'm sure there's a lot to learn here that we may or may not be able to apply, but in terms of convincing the general population I hope we remember that the average American is incurably allergic to the notion that some foreign city/country is ahead of us in some way and is worthy of emulation.
I plan to come but have to drop my kid off at school at 8:50 and then get down there. Will it be awkward to show up at 9:15-9:30 or is the space large enough that I won't distract from the presentation?
Yes, please come (be sure to RSVP on the website, thanks)...we'll be able to slip you in the back no problem. The space is huge (600+ capacity), so feel free to bring your kid and a bunch of friends (smile).

Ethan, with Active Trans
MARK, we may have other Geoffrey Baer speaking opportunities in the near future...Active Trans is a partner of the show and they've been fantastic to work with.

Jennifer, WTTW secured a Pashley bike from Boulevard Bikes for the show...Geoffrey rode it for some shooting during Bike the Drive and said it was heavy but the five speeds help out a lot and it was an enjoyable ride.

He uses another bike for commuting, can't remember the brand but it's set up more for city riding.

Thanks,
Ethan, with Active Trans

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service