The Chainlink

Don't laugh. So, it was kind of a long Saturday night/Sunday morning for me. I locked my brown Surly somewhere in UK Village, but don't know where-probably near Chicago and Oakley. I live in a totally different neighborhood and cabbed it home as I had way to much to drink. If anyone sees a Brown Surly Cross Check-like most Surly's the decals are essentially worn off-please let me know. Thanks.

Views: 1197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks everyone. I drove around the neighborhood last night and did not find it-I think bk is probably right about the gnomes. I'm not surprised. That is what stupid behavior gets you.

However, if someone does see a brown Surly with most of the decals rubbed off in UKville, the only distinguishing feature it really has is it has a u-lock permanently rusted onto the right side of the rack. It is probably joined on the rack by the useable u-lock. The handlebars at the end shifters are pretty tattered as well.

Anyway, should I get a LHT to replace it? :P

+1 to LHT!

Adam Torres said:

Thanks everyone. I drove around the neighborhood last night and did not find it-I think bk is probably right about the gnomes. I'm not surprised. That is what stupid behavior gets you.

However, if someone does see a brown Surly with most of the decals rubbed off in UKville, the only distinguishing feature it really has is it has a u-lock permanently rusted onto the right side of the rack. It is probably joined on the rack by the useable u-lock. The handlebars at the end shifters are pretty tattered as well.

Anyway, should I get a LHT to replace it? :P

Let me help:

However, if someone does see a brown Surly with most of the decals rubbed off in UKville, the only distinguishing feature it really has is it has a u-lock permanently rusted onto the right side of the rack, they should please contact me thusly ________________________.

Or better yet, how 'bout filing a stolen bike report? Why just gift a bike to thieves?

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/add/content-stolen-bike-report

 

Adam Torres said:

However, if someone does see a brown Surly with most of the decals rubbed off in UKville, the only distinguishing feature it really has is it has a u-lock permanently rusted onto the right side of the rack.

Greg Davies has a similar story.  He couldn't find his bike, assumed it was stolen, and then a few days or even a week later later found it on a different street. 

Hope it wasn't stolen.

IIRC Greg found his the next day.

Julie Hochstadter said:

Greg Davies has a similar story.  He couldn't find his bike, assumed it was stolen, and then a few days or even a week later later found it on a different street. 

Hope it wasn't stolen.

I shall do that as well!

It could have been worse...

Sorry I am laughing!  I guess this is the Chainlink version of The Hangover!  Let me know if you find a baby monkey in your pannier.   Seriously though, good luck finding your bike!

Dude, where's my bike? 

Any update? Now that CPS is back on I'll be riding through the area tomorrow. I'll keep my peepers peeped for you.

.....so you left the Hideout to go to the Clipper, but you decided to try to find your friends apartment instead.  You then got tired I presume, and you decided to stop and....lock your bike up at a random spot and...I dunno, walk/cab home?    

Adam Torres said:

I was trying to get to the Clipper from the Hideout Block Party. Realizing the Clipper was probably closed, I tried to find my friends apartment in UK Village. Its actually kind of scary to think I was riding my bike.

good thinking zoetrope. according to my somewhat limited knowledge of the hideout and the clipper neighborhoods....there are a LOT of residential streets between those two venues. could take a lot

of street canvassing to find...

 

OK - here is my embarrasing moment : I left my car at the gallery cabaret one night and ended up cabbing it home (later). I returned the next night (monday) and the car was gone. since It was parked in

a "marginally legal" space - I thought the worst (sh#t - it was towed by the city. and the car isn't

worth the $$$ to get it out of the pound.) Taking a chance and acting on a hunch : I rode my bike

over to north avenue (the one bar I would have gone to after gallery) and sure enough - there it

was on north avenue just west of ashland. everything intact : including the $50 parking ticket. I was never ever glad to see a parking ticket on my car as I was then. so the lesson learned I guess is

get a(nother) bike and re-trace your route multiple variations and you may get lucky...

 

DB

 



Zoetrope said:

.....so you left the Hideout to go to the Clipper, but you decided to try to find your friends apartment instead.  You then got tired I presume, and you decided to stop and....lock your bike up at a random spot and...I dunno, walk/cab home?    

Adam Torres said:

I was trying to get to the Clipper from the Hideout Block Party. Realizing the Clipper was probably closed, I tried to find my friends apartment in UK Village. Its actually kind of scary to think I was riding my bike.

I wasn't saying it could be anywhere between those two places. In my first post, I mentioned it was left in the Chicago Ave./Oakley area. It's fine though, I am sure its long gone by now. Thanks for everyone's advice/stories.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service