The Chainlink

What things should you think about/look for in purchasing a folding bike?

Views: 606

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funny you should ask... I'm trying to figure that one out myself and would love to hear various perspectives on that. I'm down to two brands -- Bike Friday and Dahon. What have you been looking at Key? My needs are a combo of loaded touring and business trips.
It depends a little on what you plan to use it for.

I have a friend who bought a folder for commutes by bike/Metra. He wanted something extremely compact and quick to fold. He claimed he could collapse it in 8 seconds. Great for when you're running late for the train.
a folding bike will not hold up to loaded touring; 20" wheels, cheaper components, etc.

You can get a full-size bike with couplers that allow you to break it down and pack it into a case. Ritchey makes the Breakaway, but many manufacturers offer the "S&S Coupler" as an add-on option. http://www.sandsmachine.com/

Alan Ortiz said:
Funny you should ask... I'm trying to figure that one out myself and would love to hear various perspectives on that. I'm down to two brands -- Bike Friday and Dahon. What have you been looking at Key? My needs are a combo of loaded touring and business trips.

"a folding bike will not hold up to loaded touring"

That will be news to the Bike Friday crowd, who literally tour their bikes around the world. Granted, this is probably not the type of folder the OP was thinking of but just because it folds doesn't mean you can't use it for touring.  It's not a quick-fold and it's not cheap but BF is a great bike for touring.  

Personally, I love my Dahon. It is not a high-end bike, but it is perfect for bike-transit combos where the cycling portion is ~5 miles or less. Although I have ridden the folder distances greater than 10 miles, I would consider a higher-end folder if I planned to do a significant amount of distance riding on it.
I prefer to roll mine>

JKT said:
Actually, Bike Friday makes custom, high end folders specifically designed for touring (check out their New World Tourist model, or NWT). Not cheap, but they have a pretty loyal following and their bikes get rave reviews.

Anne said:
a folding bike will not hold up to loaded touring; 20" wheels, cheaper components, etc.

You can get a full-size bike with couplers that allow you to break it down and pack it into a case. Ritchey makes the Breakaway, but many manufacturers offer the "S&S Coupler" as an add-on option. http://www.sandsmachine.com/

Alan Ortiz said:
Actually, Bike Friday makes custom, high end folders specifically designed for touring (check out their New World Tourist model, or NWT). Not cheap, but they have a pretty loyal following and their bikes get rave reviews. I ride a Dahon commuter bike myself and it works great for the purpose it serves.

Keep in mind that generally there's a trade off between folding compactness and ride quality. Do you prefer a quick fold, small footprint, and the ability to easily multi-mode commute? Consider a 20" Dahon, Bike Friday Tikit, or Brompton. Or do you favor the ability to tour or ride faster and longer? Then consider a Bike Friday NWT, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Swift/Xootr, Birdy, or higher end Dahon. Best of luck!

Anne said:

Alan Ortiz said:
Hey All... lots of great comments/info. Much appreciated. I'll be checking it all out and having fun -- or maybe twisting in agony about having to make the final choice. LOL
I've got a Dahon folder for sale on the cheap. Message me if interested.

Folders are great bikes, and they're extremely comfortable. I was always happy to ride mine, but now have little reason to keep it.
Anyone have the Dahon Espresso?
Anne said:

Ive done extensive loaded touring on 20" wheels (BF) and they have held up well.
At Rapid Transit Cycleshop we stock Bike Friday, Brompton and Dahon. If you like, you can come in and test ride different models and discuss options such as touring with a folding bike.

Thanks,

Nick

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service