The Chainlink

anyone have any tips on how to keep my eye glasses clear in this weather?

Views: 1086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

googles.
I was hopeful for a good new suggestion. Having heard most of these before, I now believe there is NO answer. Unfortunate. Especially the part about having to pull the balaclava down---after you do that, it's not a balaclava. I feel your pain :(
I use a seirus neoprene face mask when the temps are below 20. It has pretty good vent holes for the mouth and nose area, which definitely helps prevent my cycling glasses from fogging up as long as I remember to exhale through my mouth. My glasses still fog a bit when I stop at a light, but they clear as soon as I am moving again. Sports Authority sells them for fairly cheap.

Hi Dr. Lecter!

arohr said:
I use a seirus neoprene face mask when the temps are below 20. It has pretty good vent holes for the mouth and nose area, which definitely helps prevent my cycling glasses from fogging up as long as I remember to exhale through my mouth. My glasses still fog a bit when I stop at a light, but they clear as soon as I am moving again. Sports Authority sells them for fairly cheap.

I have a 24 mile RT commute that I have been doing all winter. I have experimented with quite a few set ups. I have tried Serius neoprene masks, I have tried growning a beard, I have tried bandandas...etc.

I am currently using this Balaclava: http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/ws_gorilla_balaclava.html

The removable face piece is great for adjustments and getting a proper fit. It also fits well under a helmet. The windstopper makes it very warm.

I then partner it with these goggles: http://www.rei.com/product/744424

The goggles have clear lenses that allow me to ride day or night, and they are designed to fit over glasses, so I can wear sunglasses for sunny days or perscription glasses if needed.

I have found that this combination to be the only one yet that has not fogged durring my rides. The Goggles form a seal along the windstopper face piece which directs all of my breath out the front of the mask instead of up into the goggles.

I love it! anyways, that is my 10 cents.
I use this stuff

Im not sure where I got it, probably a hardware store or autoparts store. I wipe it on every few days with a cotton cloth and it keeps my lenses fog free. If you check a ski shop you will probably find something.

Also, when I scuba dive there is a little bottle of "stuff" that we use that keeps the lenses from fogging. I'm not sure what is called but you can find it at scuba shops.
When I skin/apnea dive I usually use spit. Believe it or not it works great and no need to spend the money on the fancy bottled stuff from scuba shops. Just spit into your mask, rub it on the inner glass surface for a few seconds and then dump the excess out...

-Ali

Not Nathan Fillion (aka Paul) said:
I use this stuff

Im not sure where I got it, probably a hardware store or autoparts store. I wipe it on every few days with a cotton cloth and it keeps my lenses fog free. If you check a ski shop you will probably find something.

Also, when I scuba dive there is a little bottle of "stuff" that we use that keeps the lenses from fogging. I'm not sure what is called but you can find it at scuba shops.
Ummm..Paul, is it?

You haven't had any bad side effects from this spray? The PDF you linked to says it's made for mirrors and glass, but eyeglass lenses aren't made of glass and most riding glasses lenses are plastic.

I use this stuff

I checked with my optician, she told me to not use any chemical on the coated plastic lenses, mine are prescription and were very pricey, I guess I will try spit
I am thinking about being fit for multi focal contact lenses made byAiir Optix. any one familiar with them ?
I have had no side effects. It say on the can that it can be used on glass or plastic, mirrors, windshields and eyeglasses.

Perhaps the pdf is for a more industrial form of the same stuff. My can matches the part no. (v-524) that's on the pdf though.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Ummm..Paul, is it?

You haven't had any bad side effects from this spray? The PDF you linked to says it's made for mirrors and glass, but eyeglass lenses aren't made of glass and most riding glasses lenses are plastic.

I use this stuff

i like the spit idea...but days like today...it freezes instantly. i too am afraid of the 'stuff'...for rear of my lenses...and fear of fumes on my ooglers.

ima try some extra virgin olive oil in the morning. the 'oil' of extra virgins should be safe, right?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service