The Chainlink

First big snow, Jan 2010-- how's everyone getting around in this stuff?

I realized quickly I needed to stay out of the car tire spoors as I could barely track in them-- slippin' and a slidin'. Kept to the undisturbed and less disturbed snow, with a few plowed and virgin sidewalk stretches. Only one short jaunt on a main street-- cleared/salted/wet, but car traffic seemed like it was moving at highway speeds.
Evening commute awaits . . .

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got a rain suit from Active Transportation Alliance that makes me look like a cop. I wonder if that's why people have been swinging wide since I've been wearing it. I even had one guy on the bus call me "officer" while wearing it.

Lionel Senderowicz said:
I use a reflective vest like this. $3.95 + shipping on amazon. Best $4 spent ever.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IDSZ1U/ref=oss_T15_product

Looking like a construction worker might make people want to avoid you. Thanks to the "hit a worker, go to prison and pay $1000000000 signs you often see on highways. :)

Expect questions from people such as "You work in this weather?" or jokes such as "Are you moonlighting?" at your place of employment. That shows me that the style is stuck in people's heads.
Can we get snow plows to make one more pass around the city to clear bike lanes? Or is there a concern with someone trying to door a snow plow?

I attempted to "act like traffic" today since traffic was moving at a crawl and the bike lanes were impassable on Augusta, but this women in her cage decided cut me off twice when we got closer to Milwaukee, we of course exchanged words then she sped a head ten feet before slamming on her breaks due to a line of cars. Very frustrating.
ROFLMAO! I'd like to see that. "Officer, one second I had a driver's side door, the next second I didn't and was covered with dirty snow!"

Eric Roach said:
Can we get snow plows to make one more pass around the city to clear bike lanes? Or is there a concern with someone trying to door a snow plow?

You can do this anytime you like. Call 311 and put in a request.
If you have time during the day call your alderman and ask for ongoing assistance.
Then get the number to your ward's streets and san office, ask for the superintendent, and ask for ongoing assistance. Note names, and follow up at least once to let them know you're watching for follow-up and aren't going away.

I called in Augusta and the poor plowing after the last storm, the whole time thinking "why can't the cyclists in this part of town take responsibility for their own damn neighborhood?"

Eric Roach said:
I attempted to "act like traffic" today since traffic was moving at a crawl and the bike lanes were impassable on Augusta, but this women in her cage decided cut me off twice when we got closer to Milwaukee, we of course exchanged words then she sped a head ten feet before slamming on her breaks due to a line of cars. Very frustrating.
You must have more faith in the system than I do... I have and do complete 311 online requests (A little over half have been completed successfully), but for this stretch of Augusta your looking at three alderpeople that need to be contacted 1, 32 and 27. Though it does appear that will be the only way to get this done.

H3N3 said:
If you have time during the day call your alderman and ask for ongoing assistance.
Then get the number to your ward's streets and san office, ask for the superintendent, and ask for ongoing assistance. Note names, and follow up at least once to let them know you're watching for follow-up and aren't going away.

I called in Augusta and the poor plowing after the last storm, the whole time thinking "why can't the cyclists in this part of town take responsibility for their own damn neighborhood?"

Eric Roach said:
Did you call 311 for this particular issue?
Yes, I do have faith, and I don't think "a little over half" is great, but it's certainly worth the effort.
I didn't mean to imply that they'll run out and take care of the whole thing right after your first call, but they actually do have a whole window they can go into to place a snow-removal-specific request, which is way better than when you have to struggle with them because there's no easy way to enter something.
There seem to be a lot of people that think that highlighting a problem in an internet discussion constitutes taking action-- glad to see you're not one of them.
Regarding contacting the aldermen-- I live on the border between 3 wards as well and I know who to talk to at all 3-- who's the best person in the office to get stuff done, who's the streets and san. boss.
You might be relieved to hear that snow removal is not ward-specific in its execution, but if you take a little time to develop a relationship with your "own" streets and sanitation head, they might be able to make the right calls for you.
Otherwise, try 312/747-3232 and ask for Rocky (don't bother talking to his assistant other than to leave your number-- she'll drive you nuts). He's my streets and sanitation head (12th) but he lives less than 2 blocks off Augusta and should be able to help.

Eric Roach said:
You must have more faith in the system than I do... I have and do complete 311 online requests (A little over half have been completed successfully), but for this stretch of Augusta your looking at three alderpeople that need to be contacted 1, 32 and 27. Though it does appear that will be the only way to get this done.
H3N3 said:
Then get the number to your ward's streets and san office, ask for the superintendent, and ask for ongoing assistance. Note names, and follow up at least once to let them know you're watching for follow-up and aren't going away. I called in Augusta and the poor plowing after the last storm, the whole time thinking "why can't the cyclists in this part of town take responsibility for their own damn neighborhood?"
Eric Roach said:
This has been an entertaining thread to read. I used to ride year round through all the crap but not this past winter and I can honestly say I didn't miss it one bit, but my trainer has been banished to the closet as I cannot stand the site of it anymore. Nothing like snow and ice to shine a light on one's bike handling deficiencies, however.

I tend to find riding in a heat index of around 100+ degrees more invigorating than fall and winter riding; I need to live on the equator.
yeah, i heart hot weather. I also need to move to the Equator.

Craig S. said:
This has been an entertaining thread to read. I used to ride year round through all the crap but not this past winter and I can honestly say I didn't miss it one bit, but my trainer has been banished to the closet as I cannot stand the site of it anymore. Nothing like snow and ice to shine a light on one's bike handling deficiencies, however.

I tend to find riding in a heat index of around 100+ degrees more invigorating than fall and winter riding; I need to live on the equator.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service