The Chainlink

I really hope everyone is okay after this weekend's weather challenges.  Anyone out Friday night knows it was slippery!  Any falling/sliding suggestions or stories out there?

Views: 698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Studded tires - and a little lower air pressure. It's not fool-proof, but it'll definitely help.

Over ten years of winter riding and I finnally bought a pair or studded tires last year. I had the best experience riding on the icy streets and alleys ever. They are tough to break in, but my legs are much stronger now, I think of it as sort of trianing for fair weather riding.

J.P. said:

Studded tires - and a little lower air pressure. It's not fool-proof, but it'll definitely help.

I did get blown off the road Sunday riding to work I didn't crash, 

but the strong winds literary pushed me off the road

How is she doing now?

Chris B said:

this is what happens when you stick your arm out (my girlfriend's arm this summer):

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

DON'T stick out your arm to catch yourself on the pavement. Arms don't like the full weight of the body coming down on them.

I never saw this site before-- wow!

Anne Alt said:

And here's a picture on Whateverland, which shows how icy it was.

Lorena Cupcake said:

My bike, which isn't really winterized in anyway, loves to skid out from under me when I brake hard on slippery wet roads. I've just adjusted by trying to make sure I don't have to make hard, abrupt stops.

I've become a bit more cautious and patient hen I approach intersections-I think we've all had moments where we think "That car will probably let me go...oh, hell to the no, it's not stopping." I'm going a bit slower in an unfamiliar situation where I'm not sure if I'm going to have to slam on the brakes (ex: riding near a cab that could swoop in to pick a fare up at any time).

Still, I'm probably going to eat shit at least once this winter. I was walking my bike along the ice-coated Montrose pier this afternoon with Whateverland (trying to get photos with Lake Michigan and the skyline in the background) and I totally fell on top of my bike at one point. I'm just happy we didn't both fall in the lake.

here's a set from that same morning, when my friend John & I cycled from Elmhurst to the Lakefront to course marshall the Rudolph Ramble with the Chicago Skate Patrol (sans inlines)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jromeh/sets/72157625590135938/

--Jerome

Norm Hansen said:

I did get blown off the road Sunday riding to work I didn't crash,

but the strong winds literary pushed me off the road

Archie does amazing work and occasionally includes his bike in a picture or two.

H3N3 said:

I never saw this site before-- wow!

Anne Alt said:

And here's a picture on Whateverland, which shows how icy it was.

Bumping this thread, also regarding fall and falling, the leaves are starting to pile up around curbs and gutters. I am reminded how easy a slip and slide would occur around wet leaves. Stay safe.

Gorgeous pic! Best season!

Juan 2-8 mi. said:

Bumping this thread, also regarding fall and falling, the leaves are starting to pile up around curbs and gutters. I am reminded how easy a slip and slide would occur around wet leaves. Stay safe.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service