The Chainlink

The other day I was hurrying to work approaching the train tracks at clinton just n. of fulton.  the warning lights and bells started going off as i was maybe 20ft from them.  so i accelerated and made it over before the gates began to move.

a metra police officer jumped in front of me a little ways later and made me stop.  wrote me a ticket and said it will likely cost me at least $250.  I kind of thought that the lights and bell were like a yellow light and you didnt have to stop until the gates came down.  It appears this is not the case.  expensive lesson learned.

posting this as a cautionary tale to anyone else pedaling over train tracks regularly.

Views: 3868

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't fight it son. Confess quickly! If you hold out too long you could jeopardize your credit rating.

Trying to beat a train to the crossing is quite possibly one of the stupidest things anyone could do.

Adam, really? You already said that in your previous post. Let's be nice to each other, ok? It's fall, it's Monday, and we live in a great city.  Give your fellow concerned cyclists a break. We've all done stupid things, on two wheels or four. Am I right?

Adam Herstein said:

Trying to beat a train to the crossing is quite possibly one of the stupidest things anyone could do.

If only we could pass a law that makes doing stupid things illegal.  That'll stop the stupid people from doing stupid things...

There, I fixed it!

Yes!

James BlackHeron said:

If only we could pass a law that makes doing stupid things illegal.  That'll stop the stupid people from doing stupid things...

There, I fixed it!

This is just like the people who complain about the speed cameras even though they know they are breaking the law. I think that it's common sense that if you see red flashing lights and a crossbar coming down, then you should stop and wait. If not for fear of a ticket, at least for your own safety. In my opinion, the OP deserves this ticket and has no right to complain. He should be glad that he only has to pay $250 considering some of the other possible outcomes of trying to beat a train to the crossing.

Sarah D. said:

Adam, really? You already said that in your previous post. Let's be nice to each other, ok? It's fall, it's Monday, and we live in a great city.  Give your fellow concerned cyclists a break. We've all done stupid things, on two wheels or four. Am I right?

Adam Herstein said:

That Adam Herstein is a cruel taskmaster.

Adam Herstein said:

This is just like the people who complain about the speed cameras even though they know they are breaking the law. I think that it's common sense that if you see red flashing lights and a crossbar coming down, then you should stop and wait. If not for fear of a ticket, at least for your own safety. In my opinion, the OP deserves this ticket and has no right to complain. He should be glad that he only has to pay $250 considering some of the other possible outcomes of trying to beat a train to the crossing.

Sarah D. said:

Adam Herstein said:

How about a little humor to lighten the mood?  Happy Monday!

though it's been fun to read  the scoldings (i know you only respond because you care) ,   and the "dude how'd you get caught" comments,    I'm mainly hoping to inform.  if the bell starts ringing stop or it could get expensive.

+1

I've often seen the wigwags come down in front of me at the CTA Brown Line in  heading through Ravenswood Manor knowing that the train was still in the station and would sit there for 40 seconds before crossing but never had the impatience to push it.  I'm just not that pushy when it comes to trains.   Laws be damned, I just don't want to get squished.  I don't see as well as I used to and don't trust my reactions that much any more to play chicken with 1000-ton trains.

But like CJ said, short of kicking the CTA renta-bacon in the balls and running over his piggy face there isn't much to do except pay the fine tax fine tax fine insurance tax fine. 

CJ said:

though it's been fun to read  the scoldings (i know you only respond because you care) ,   and the "dude how'd you get caught" comments,    I'm mainly hoping to inform.  if the bell starts ringing stop or it could get expensive.

That'd hurt.

Chuck a Muck said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service