The Chainlink

I tried the search feature, and it isn't working.  I'm sure this is a common gripe. But why can't the city do anything about all the cars double parked in the bike lane.  ESPECIALLY UPS, FedEx, and USPS.  I could gather 4 or 5 pictures daily of these guys double parked in an obvious bike lane.

Maybe that is what I should do.  Start stopping and taking pictures with my cell. Then writing to the owners of companies.

"Forcing bikes to quickly merge with traffic is dangerous.  The city has created these wonderfully useful "Bike lanes"  however, we are unable to use them, because you keep parking your delivery trucks in them.  This is not a delivery lane. It is a bike lane.  Please instruct your drivers that this is unsafe, and Illegal."

Now if we could just get the CPD to do something about it.

Views: 5143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was biking in Chicago before all these fancy bike lanes appeared.  Made my way just fine.  Around parked/double parked anything.

That's all.

+1

Mark said:

Let them double park in the traffic lane, like they do everywhere there ISN'T a bike lane.

h' 1.0 said:

Agree... painting lines on the street to simulate bicycle infrastructure is a half-assed and imperfect solution but it's the best we can hope for at the moment.

notoriousDUG said:

Where should UPS, USPS and Fedex park their trucks when they make a delivery then?

+1

Alex Z said:

This.

Mark said:

Let them double park in the traffic lane, like they do everywhere there ISN'T a bike lane.

+1

William Beck said:

In any LEGAL spot would be fine with me.

notoriousDUG said:

Where should UPS, USPS and Fedex park their trucks when they make a delivery then?

So you want them just stopped in the whole road backing up all the traffic but you?

Michael J Blane 6.5 said:

+1

Alex Z said:

This.

Mark said:

Maybe professional truck drivers could find a legal spot to park their truck, just like the rest of us must do to legally park.

notoriousDUG said:

And if there is no legal spot that fit a truck that size?

Where should a beer truck trying to deliver in Wicker Park park?

William Beck said:

In any LEGAL spot would be fine with me.

notoriousDUG said:

No, I don't want them just stopped in the whole road backing up all the traffic.

I want them to park legally, like I've been saying.

notoriousDUG said:

So you want them just stopped in the whole road backing up all the traffic but you?

+1

Alex Z said:

This.

Mark said:

I'm more concerned with how they drive than where they park. Just a few weeks ago I had a UPS truck buzz me real close on California north of Belmont and that was not pleasant. Not at all.

Same with cabbies. I don't mind them pulling into the bike lane to drop someone off so long as they pull as far right as they can and don't let the passenger out on the left side. Then pay attention before pulling back into traffic. The only time it really bugs me when cabs block the bike lane is when they have plenty of room to park in the vicinity of where they're dropping off but still block the lane. 

Cabs and delivery drivers who pull as far to the right as possible are not the problem. The problem I have are double parked cars to get their starbucks or what not. Maybe all you complainers about delivery trucks should start a petition to city hall to provide these vehicles adequate parking spaces for their deliveries. I really don't see what the problem is unless they are in a PBL. I'd like to hear some real cases where checking behind you and taking the lane is a real problem. Or is the main complaint that you have to slow down and break your cadence to adjust to your surroundings. My god what do you do when there is a pothole or broken glass? If you really cant stand it, do something about it.

Isn't participating in this lively forum doing something about it?

I'm going to ask again; where do you suggest a beer, food service delivery truck, or even a larger UPS truck park legally in the Wicker Park area around The Crotch?  And again, is it really that scary to pass a double parked truck?  How do you cope with roads that do not have a dedicated bike lane?

You talk a lot about what you want but seem unwilling to discus what can be done with in the confines of the infrastructure we have right now.  Saying you want them to park in a legal spot without a willingness to talk about the lack of legal parking spots in general and the fact that larger delivery trucks do not fit into most parking spots changes your comments to looking for a compromise that solves the problem to just simply bitching that the world is not exactly as you want it.  Quit being a whiner and start talking about solving the issue.

Rather than replying about what you want how about you answer some questions about the reality of the situation and have a discussion about the reality of it rather than whine you don't have what you want?

Also

No, I don't want them just stopped in the whole road backing up all the traffic.

I want them to park legally, like I've been saying.

notoriousDUG said:

+1

Alex Z said:

This.

Mark said:

They complain about it here...

Davo said:

Cabs and delivery drivers who pull as far to the right as possible are not the problem. The problem I have are double parked cars to get their starbucks or what not. Maybe all you complainers about delivery trucks should start a petition to city hall to provide these vehicles adequate parking spaces for their deliveries. I really don't see what the problem is unless they are in a PBL. I'd like to hear some real cases where checking behind you and taking the lane is a real problem. Or is the main complaint that you have to slow down and break your cadence to adjust to your surroundings. My god what do you do when there is a pothole or broken glass? If you really cant stand it, do something about it.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service