The Chainlink

I tried the search feature, and it isn't working.  I'm sure this is a common gripe. But why can't the city do anything about all the cars double parked in the bike lane.  ESPECIALLY UPS, FedEx, and USPS.  I could gather 4 or 5 pictures daily of these guys double parked in an obvious bike lane.

Maybe that is what I should do.  Start stopping and taking pictures with my cell. Then writing to the owners of companies.

"Forcing bikes to quickly merge with traffic is dangerous.  The city has created these wonderfully useful "Bike lanes"  however, we are unable to use them, because you keep parking your delivery trucks in them.  This is not a delivery lane. It is a bike lane.  Please instruct your drivers that this is unsafe, and Illegal."

Now if we could just get the CPD to do something about it.

Views: 5143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where should UPS, USPS and Fedex park their trucks when they make a delivery then?

Agree... painting lines on the street to simulate bicycle infrastructure is a half-assed and imperfect solution but it's the best we can hope for at the moment.

notoriousDUG said:

Where should UPS, USPS and Fedex park their trucks when they make a delivery then?

My favorite thing to gripe about also are the mindless pedestrians. Where else are they going to check their cell phones while waiting for a cab to pick them up in the bike lane?

The city should send Dept. or Revenue employees to where this happens routinely. My biggest gripe Halsted in front of UIC. That stretch was designed with several large areas where cars can pull off to pick up and drop off passengers, but they still stop in the bike lane every day.

Loading zones? They're not everywhere, but take away a single parking space and turn it into one on every block?

The worst place for this stuff is the buffered bike lanes. They're wide enough to fit an entire vehicle into and people double-park in them all the time. It's extremely annoying.

notoriousDUG said:

You can direct them to the city's own website, which states:

"Motorists parking in bike lanes endanger bicyclists by forcing them to merge unexpectedly with faster moving motor vehicle traffic."

Let them double park in the traffic lane, like they do everywhere there ISN'T a bike lane.

h' 1.0 said:

Agree... painting lines on the street to simulate bicycle infrastructure is a half-assed and imperfect solution but it's the best we can hope for at the moment.

notoriousDUG said:

This.

Mark said:

Let them double park in the traffic lane, like they do everywhere there ISN'T a bike lane.

So I just got off the phone with UPS who said they have an "agreement" with the city that I'd there are no parking a spots available, they can park in the bike lane. HMMMMM. Wonder what Rahm's office has to say about that.

I'm getting a serious case of déjà vu from this thread…

Passing between a parked UPS truck and parked cars is safer than going around a truck on the left?

Mark said:

h' 1.0 said:

notoriousDUG said:

I would say, yes.

Truck parked in traffic lane, Car parked along curb.  Bike lane width between the two.  Yes, That seems safer than merging into moving traffic.  I can't ride slowly, merging into moving traffic. Unless I want to get run over by a taxi cab.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service