The Chainlink

Anybody have any experience with these bikes? http://doubledutchbikes.com/

I'm looking for a cargo, but don't want to spend $3000! The frames are made in China, and they are folding bikes. The seller said there is a 2 yr warranty but they don't even have a paypal account-check or cash. 

Please, any thoughts?  Thanks.

Views: 2871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right on. Can I send ya a msg to work out a time to look at it? It sounds like it might be just what I'm looking for, and I can pick up in Indy, instead of having to get shipped from the coast.

I love when I read bike reviews or testimonials expounding the welds on a frame; I have news folks what a weld looks like on the outside has almost zero corelation to it's actual strength! There are things you can look for to indicate a good or a bad weld but on a painted weld it is very difficult to tell.  I can make a perfect looking weld that has no penetration and you could snap apart by hand or a nasty looking mess that holds stranger than the base materials; there is more to a quality weld than looking 'heavy duty' or being 'stout.'

but back tot he subject...

1. I would never buy a folding cargo bike.  Even high end (Dahon and bike Friday Specifically) have issues with hinges wearing out, cracking or otherwise being junk; do you really want to trust the hinge on a 'off brand' cargo bike you are going to be putting a bunch of weight in?

2. The big money in bikes goes less tot he frame and more to the components.  That cheap bike, what kind of wheelset does it have?  Does it have sealed cartridge bearing hubs and bottom bracket?  Does it have a nice crank or some pizza cutter pressed on chain ring junk that is going to be a headache in the future?  In large you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't worry about it being a folding cargo bike. It is not an actual feature of the bike. The fact that it is a folding bike is suspiciously absent form the list of features on the website. How would you fold this in the first place?

I am guessing that this is done to save cost on the frame manufacturing. It is easier and cheaper to weld the front end and back end separately and pull it together using a hinge.

As Dug says, the quality of the components is something to be more concerned about

EDIT: They are assembled in the USA, so shipping the frame in pieces likely saving on shipping as well.

notoriousDUG said:

I love when I read bike reviews or testimonials expounding the welds on a frame; I have news folks what a weld looks like on the outside has almost zero corelation to it's actual strength! There are things you can look for to indicate a good or a bad weld but on a painted weld it is very difficult to tell.  I can make a perfect looking weld that has no penetration and you could snap apart by hand or a nasty looking mess that holds stranger than the base materials; there is more to a quality weld than looking 'heavy duty' or being 'stout.'

but back tot he subject...

1. I would never buy a folding cargo bike.  Even high end (Dahon and bike Friday Specifically) have issues with hinges wearing out, cracking or otherwise being junk; do you really want to trust the hinge on a 'off brand' cargo bike you are going to be putting a bunch of weight in?

2. The big money in bikes goes less tot he frame and more to the components.  That cheap bike, what kind of wheelset does it have?  Does it have sealed cartridge bearing hubs and bottom bracket?  Does it have a nice crank or some pizza cutter pressed on chain ring junk that is going to be a headache in the future?  In large you get what you pay for.

I read the Press from their website to find out it's a folder. They claim it's for parking? It's got to be a lot cheaper to just have a drop pin holding the frame together, rather than a weld or a slot-type fit that the CETMAs use.  

Looks like they're going for cosmetics over mechanics. I think I'm gonna spend a little more for something that will last.                        

CETMA Cargo ^

I've been looking at these cargo bikes: http://www.xtracycle.com/ and specifically this one: http://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicycles/xtracycle-cargo-bicycles/xt...

The main appeal for me is that they're MUCH lighter, 40 lbs, v. 80 lbs. (and less expensive, under $1,500). I want to be able to carry mine up a flight of stairs to store inside. I've looked at the Double Dutch option, and the extra bells and whistles are attractive but I'm not sure they're what I'm looking for when it comes down to how I'm going to use my bike.

I'm curious as to why pushing seems preferable to pulling? It makes sense to me to have the option to shift gears and more maneuverability in traffic than what I imagine with a wider-based cargo bike. But, I've haven't ridden one of these yet.

I'd go for the "Big Dummy" but I'm too short for the frame :( http://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicycles/xtracycle-compatible-bicycl...

Thaddeus, what did you decide on? Has anyone out there seen these xtracycles in Chicago? I'd love to test one before buying it. Thanks!

(I know the family who built this business, they're good people, but I have nothing to gain from an endorsement of it.)

Hey Reba,

Those look nice, similar to the Surly Big Dummy, but I wanted something with a front cargo area to haul my dog around. I ended up buying a Torker trike from Comrade Cycles. I'll need to build up the walls on the cargo box but it was only $650, and ok for small trips to stores, etc.

Thanks for the tip!

Thad

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service