The Chainlink

Hi, I'm looking for someone (male or female) who is experienced with how to pack a suit to minimize wrinkles during bike commuting. This is for Po Campo's weekly video Q&A, it's a common question I get that I don't know how to really answer, since I've never worked at a place that requires suits.

The videos are short (3 minutes or so), we will come to you and you can shows us your secrets! Please msg me if you are interested in helping. Will take <15 min and we just need to film it before next Wednesday!

Thanks!

Maria

Views: 1330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good quality mens suiting is not going to wrinkle unless you really try. Good quality mean suits that retail for $2000 and up. Who pays retail? I bought an Italian totally hand tailored suit this a.m. for thirty dollars. Brought it home, took it out of the saddlebag, no wrinkles. No care at all how I bundled it into the bag except not tearing the bag, getting things dirty. Anyway if the suit is well tailored, fits well, looks good on you, a few wrinkles makes you look carefree, not sloppy. And wrinkles on good suiting will hang out in an hour or so of wear. I have seen women's suits of a quality that would perform as well but they are scarce. For men there's a constant oversupply from rich clotheshorses. I will rarely buy anything that even needs minor alterations, there's plenty of good suits to choose from. Many "used" suits still have never-removed tags and have never been worn.

Start by getting Ortleib panniers - they have plenty of room in them.  Then fold the pants and loosely roll the suitcoat, putting them in the pannier last. 

Where do you find that quality of suits secondhand?

John C. Wilson said:

Good quality mens suiting is not going to wrinkle unless you really try. Good quality mean suits that retail for $2000 and up. Who pays retail? I bought an Italian totally hand tailored suit this a.m. for thirty dollars. Brought it home, took it out of the saddlebag, no wrinkles. No care at all how I bundled it into the bag except not tearing the bag, getting things dirty. Anyway if the suit is well tailored, fits well, looks good on you, a few wrinkles makes you look carefree, not sloppy. And wrinkles on good suiting will hang out in an hour or so of wear. I have seen women's suits of a quality that would perform as well but they are scarce. For men there's a constant oversupply from rich clotheshorses. I will rarely buy anything that even needs minor alterations, there's plenty of good suits to choose from. Many "used" suits still have never-removed tags and have never been worn.

Yeah, what?  I'd like to know about that shop.

I don't use this method for daily commuting, but it's worked for folding a jacket up in a carry-on.  With the jacket face down, fold back one shoulder flipping the lapel inside out.  Tuck the other shoulder into the concave section you've just created, and fold horizontally.  Easy to find other step by step images w/google.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

John C. Wilson said:

I have had success rolling up clothing rather than folding which can create its own wrinkles.

Seconded.

Gene Tenner said:

I have had success rolling up clothing rather than folding which can create its own wrinkles.

These are great! Is anyone interested in doing a demo for me? I think it will really help people to see it in person.

This morning's suit came from the Winnetka Rummage Sale. There may still be good stuff on the rack thru Saturday and you get another try in October. I won't give away all my sources but Elliot's Consignment at 2645 Lincoln is still good, you might have to pay low 3 figures for a 4 figure suit, they do have runway leftovers and show samples and very nice stuff. Since we're sitting in Chicago and the best suits in the world are still made on Van Buren Street by Oxxford you do have a lot of chances to score one of those merely on account of proximity. Yard sales on the North Shore whenever you have a clue that house belongs to a lawyer. Which is the largest group that still wears suits.

High quality menswear is something like lugged steel frames. Huge vocabulary of style, enormous reservoir of craft, totally obsolete, extremely durable, more people buy them than actually use them. The good stuff is out there, in quantity, seek and ye shall find.

An afterthought. If you look at the backside of the lapel on a top suit you'll see a thousand or so minute puckers. You can't see the stitches without a magnifier. Those stitches shape the lapel. That lapel doesn't need pressing.  So long as you're framed by that lapel minor wrinkles on the balance of the suit are beneath notice. I have 3 suits in my closet made that way, all were over-the-counter purchases, all were under a hundred.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

John C. Wilson said:

Thanks for that info!

John C. Wilson said:

This morning's suit came from the Winnetka Rummage Sale. There may still be good stuff on the rack thru Saturday and you get another try in October. I won't give away all my sources but Elliot's Consignment at 2645 Lincoln is still good, you might have to pay low 3 figures for a 4 figure suit, they do have runway leftovers and show samples and very nice stuff. Since we're sitting in Chicago and the best suits in the world are still made on Van Buren Street by Oxxford you do have a lot of chances to score one of those merely on account of proximity. Yard sales on the North Shore whenever you have a clue that house belongs to a lawyer. Which is the largest group that still wears suits.

High quality menswear is something like lugged steel frames. Huge vocabulary of style, enormous reservoir of craft, totally obsolete, extremely durable, more people buy them than actually use them. The good stuff is out there, in quantity, seek and ye shall find.

An afterthought. If you look at the backside of the lapel on a top suit you'll see a thousand or so minute puckers. You can't see the stitches without a magnifier. Those stitches shape the lapel. That lapel doesn't need pressing.  So long as you're framed by that lapel minor wrinkles on the balance of the suit are beneath notice. I have 3 suits in my closet made that way, all were over-the-counter purchases, all were under a hundred.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

John C. Wilson said:

Look up Eagle Creek luggage. Check out their packing solutions. You want a Folder for shirt, slacks, and coat. Then get a Cube for stuff like socks, thirst, etc.
I use this system on my bike with a Chtome backpack or pannier. Also with my motorcycle.
REI has all of this, as well as some of those luggage stores in the Loop

yes, many people still wear suits...

peter moormann said:

People still where suits to work?

I know the Prez  does, but regular people...suits?

+1 for rolling

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service