The Chainlink

My whole life it was always "Gimmie a pop"...

Then when I was in the Marines I live in California for a while and it's been "may I have a soda" ever since.

Soda vs Pop map of U.S. click here.

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Down in Atlanta, they called everything "Coke", which I never understood
Soda, ever since my Lost Year in Connecticut... Sometimes sodie, sodapop. or sodiepop.

Do you carry groceries in a bag or a sack, drink water from a fountain, a cooler, or a bubbler?
In the Marines the drinking fountain is called "The Scuttlebutt", which is a Navy term and where the term scuttlebutt comes from when talking rumors (I beleive).

mike w. said:
Soda, ever since my Lost Year in Connecticut... Sometimes sodie, sodapop. or sodiepop.

Do you carry groceries in a bag or a sack, drink water from a fountain, a cooler, or a bubbler?
You got it.

Not Nathan Fillion (aka Paul) said:
In the Marines the drinking fountain is called "The Scuttlebutt", which is a Navy term and where the term scuttlebutt comes from when talking rumors (I beleive).

mike w. said:

I believe it's because Coke was originally bottled in Altanta

spaghetti said:
soda. simply said. what thefuck is 'pop'? does it 'pop'? um...no. SODA

and this is why it's commonly referred to as SODA..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_water
Soda is north east and west coasts, midwest is pop. And Michael is right about Coke no matter how odd. ;-)
38 years in Chicago......always been "pop".

I'm drinking a pop as I surf Chainlink. Cherry Coke. Word up.
Let's see, the rest of the related info .. .

In yankeeland an ice cream bar is a "pop."

In Chicago we call it a bag but downstate it's a sack.

The practice of hitting a glass with a spoon at a wedding in order to get the bride and groom to kiss is apparently a midwestern thing, purportedly originating in Minnesota.

Everyplace but Chicago if you ask someone if they want to "come with" they think it sounds wierd.
Guessing this is because Chicago was pretty much a "german" city at one point.

In the south they drink Coke for breakfast, and a favorite snack is eating corn starch out of a box with a spoon.

Oh yeah, and you know that "Mikey" kid from the Life commercials in the 70s?
You'll never guess how he died . . .
I ask for soda because I'm worldly. Only farmers ask for pop.

Actually I say soda because in spanish its soda and if for nothing else it is just to be consistent.
And still headquartered down there.

Michael Millican said:
I believe it's because Coke was originally bottled in Altanta

spaghetti said:
In Florida we call it soder or coke.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service