The Chainlink

I'm courious on what other sometimes drivers, most of the time cyclists think about this:

Ive dug out 2 spaces so far and that didnt bother me. What bothers me is the guy who didn't dig out his van for a week but when he finnaly did he marked his spot. Dibs only count the day or two after the storm, any longer and your a lazy ass

Views: 1173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you bring up a very good point here James.  It's not really related to dibs but to snow removal etiquette in general.  As you pointed out, anyone with a wheelchair can't get around if the sidewalks aren't shovelled properly.  But I also realized that, even if everyone shovelled their sidewalk well, the city has been letting down disabled and handicapped citizens.  On every street you pass, there's a huge mound of snow the plows have pushed in against the corner.  People walking even have to climb over these mounds to cross the street.  And that would represent an insurmountable barrier to anyone in a wheelchair, on crutches, etc.  Why is the city allowed to violate the Americans with Disabilities Act and leave handicapped ramps blocked?

James Baum said:

I agree with this.  My sidewalk is the ONLY one in the block that is shovelled fully out to its full width.  the neghbors to the right of us have not shoveled out even enough for a wheelchair to pass without leaving marks on the snow on both sides. The neighbors on the left are across the alley and the cut-out/ramp from the sidewalk to the alley was only shoveled out just wide enough for one person to walk.  

Who watches the watchers?

This is the fundimental flaw of all authoritarian structures such as our own.  Power corrupts.  Laws just don't work and governmental structures are critically flawed because EVEN THEY refuse/fail to follow the rules laid down by their own selves.  It's a catch-22.

Whenever you get any authority that tells those who are "under" them what to do, there will never be full or fair accountably going the other way.   Mix that with "democracy," which is merely the tyranny of the masses taking from the minority and re-apportioning it to the majority, and what we end up with is bread and circuses Nero fiddling. 

Every "good idea" like the ADA or taxes for "services" that never come (or are at least severely attenuated from those things we could have done for ourselves had we not been burdened by those self-same demands put upon us) ends up hurting more than it helps.  And we always arrive at the broken system we have now and have had throughout history since one person or group of people decide to be "leaders" and tell others how to run their individual lives.

Responsibility lies at individual level -while the authority to make those things we are individually responsible for as human beings is invariably usurped by those who hijack the collective and make it their personal fiefdom.  Power ALWAYS corrupts.  With great power comes great responsibility and mankind is always too selfish ever to be trusted with power over others.  Humans selfishness is best served when they responsible and accountable only to themselves and sink or swim on their own merit. Expecting flawed people to rule others when they can't even be trusted to be fair as individuals is expecting 1+1=3.  The sum can not be more than that of its own parts.  

Who watches the watchers?

Becca said:

Why is the city allowed to violate the Americans with Disabilities Act and leave handicapped ramps blocked?

I really hope the city follows through on this,  the snow is soft and easily removed right now.  While I generally feel that people should not call dibs (I never did when I drove), I can understand waiting to enforce until the snow is not hard frozen pack. 

I liked the WGN skit where he used a watering can to mark his spot in the bus line.  Calling dibs on a public street is equally rediculous.

Duane Waller said:

My fiancee called 311 after I spent over 45 minutes trying to find ANYWHERE to park in Logan Square late Saturday. And she's on the west side, what many of her gentrifying friends call the "bad" side. (yeah, ok). 311 told her that they will begin sending garbage trucks out on Monday to pick up whatever has been left in the roadway. Sounds like a plan to me. I mean, c'mon you lazy fucks, it's been 10 days. How long is that spot "yours"? What a joke this is.
On my way to work today I saw 2 spots that were still being "dibbed'. I almost decided to kick the chairs down but didn't think that would be a good use of my time.
i think i have found the most unique "dibs" item ever. the snow is melted on my entire street now and there is still a metal queen size bed frame sitting on my front lawn.  i'm sicking of looking at this person's junk on my lawn and wish to remove it, but fear the wrath of some psycho person.
People still have crap all over the street in Pilsen.  I'm tempted to just pitch it all since I'm moving in a few days anyway.

Seen this morning at about 3655 W Wrightwood: car carefully parked in it's dibs spot, and the dibs junk carefully placed in the bike lane - ain't life grand?! That really takes the biscuit.

Apologies for no photo - I was late for work.

Oh my gosh! Do you live on my street, because there's a metal headboard (somewhat ugly and ornate) there, too!

The silliest passive aggressive thing I've seen. I found this note on the street. I'm assuming that someone put it on the windshield of a person who "violated" dibs.

(No regard for property...er...you mean that junk you left in "your" spot? Thanks, neighbor!)

milesperhour said:

i think i have found the most unique "dibs" item ever. the snow is melted on my entire street now and there is still a metal queen size bed frame sitting on my front lawn.  i'm sicking of looking at this person's junk on my lawn and wish to remove it, but fear the wrath of some psycho person.

I also "move" things like this out of the bike lane as well.  But I don't stop and I'm not careful with them...

Disclaimer:  I've been riding/racing 2-wheeled vehicles for nearly 40 years and have a very good idea what I can and can't get away with using one's foot/leg while "moving" such items in this way while moving and mounted. .  One can get seriously injured/crash doing this if you don't know what you are doing and attempt to move/kick something large incorrectly while riding.  

Cameron Puetz said:

Similarly I had to move 2 A-frame signs out of the bike lane on Division last night. One was advertising valet parking and the other was advertising dinner specials. Looks like people are still using the snow as an excuse to put crap in the bike lane.

That's rather ironic since the person who wrote the note almost certainly doesn't own the city streets that he or she is calling dibs on.  I guess regard for the city and public property doesn't come into play at all.

Holly said:

Oh my gosh! Do you live on my street, because there's a metal headboard (somewhat ugly and ornate) there, too!

The silliest passive aggressive thing I've seen. I found this note on the street. I'm assuming that someone put it on the windshield of a person who "violated" dibs.

(No regard for property...er...you mean that junk you left in "your" spot? Thanks, neighbor!)

milesperhour said:

Before I had a garage, I used to shovel out multiple spots in front of and across the street of my apartment...

Maybe I have too much faith in karma/people

Dibs is stupid.  If you have to dig that much, you probably can't get your car down the street.  If you can drive down the street, there isn't that much snow to shovel (max a couple feet from when the plow went by). 

My solution was to turn on 4x4 and drive, no shoveling required.  Plus it stopped cars from trying to "claim dibs" on my spot.  They weren't going to get in with their honda.  If it was a truck, good for them, I will just get through another unplowed spot. 

As for stuff out on the streets now, who leaves their stuff outside at this point?  If your stuff is left outside still, it should be thrown away. No questions asked. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service