The Chainlink

I preset to you a rough transcription of a lovely conversation I had
this morning with a chapping gentleman in Old Town.

<I pull up next to his Mercedes in my bike because he is blocking the
bike lane. I initially just was going to give him a dirty look and ride off, but he rolls down his window, so I decide to talk to him.>

Me: Excuse me, you're parked in a bike lane, would you mind moving your car?

Him: Fuck off.

Me: Hey man, I'm just asking nicely. You're parked illegally.

Him: Is it legal for you guys to run red lights?

Me: That's irrelevant, you're still illegally parked.

Him: I'm not parked, I'm stopped. My flashers are on.

Me: That's the same thing.

Him: Fuck off.

Me: Have a nice day!

Honestly, I totally expected this behavior and am in no way complaining about this. I actually was quite amused and it made my morning. I just wanted to share it with my fellow Chainlinkers.

Views: 3707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is why Illinois needs a concealed carry law. If the cyclist had one her story would be different. In Cali, he had the right to.

Adam Herstein said:

Upon reading that article, I have deduced that Susan Dyer Reynolds is absolutely insane and should be arrested on the spot. We already have an admission of guilt printed on her website.

People need to learn that unlike a bicycle, you can easily kill someone with a car, and that's why cars and bikes should NOT be treated equally on the road.

Thunder Snow said:

In an interesting reversal of Adam's incident, where he tried to inform a motorist of the motorist's misdeed, here a motorist tries to "educate" a cyclist by physically terrorizing him, pinching him between her SUV and a parked car.

"[The cyclist] sped up and so did I, pulling in front of his bike, and trapping him between my SUV and the car parked next to him. As he came to a screeching halt, I rolled the window down a couple of inches. What color he had in his pale face drained and suddenly the smug smile was gone."

notoriousDUG said:

However it is not all that rare for drivers to purposely be aggressive to cyclists. 

You can't possibly be serious. Why should I have to arm myself in order to bike safely on the roads?

Paul said:

This is why Illinois needs a concealed carry law. If the cyclist had one her story would be different. In Cali, he had the right to.
Stupid? What is a concealed carry law for if not to defend ones self when trapped in a corner about to die? I see your against it, never mind.

Adam Herstein said:

Paul said:

Adam Herstein said:

Upon reading that article, I have deduced that Susan Dyer Reynolds is absolutely insane and should be arrested on the spot. We already have an admission of guilt printed on her website.

People need to learn that unlike a bicycle, you can easily kill someone with a car, and that's why cars and bikes should NOT be treated equally on the road.

Thunder Snow said:

In an interesting reversal of Adam's incident, where he tried to inform a motorist of the motorist's misdeed, here a motorist tries to "educate" a cyclist by physically terrorizing him, pinching him between her SUV and a parked car.

"[The cyclist] sped up and so did I, pulling in front of his bike, and trapping him between my SUV and the car parked next to him. As he came to a screeching halt, I rolled the window down a couple of inches. What color he had in his pale face drained and suddenly the smug smile was gone."

notoriousDUG said:

However it is not all that rare for drivers to purposely be aggressive to cyclists. 

Why are you trying to derail this conversation into one about gun rights? Do you really want to live in a society where everyone carrys a gun and you'd be afraid to even ask a stranger for directions because he might shoot you for no reason?

Paul said:

Stupid? What is a concealed carry law for if not to defend ones self when trapped in a corner about to die? I see your against it, never mind.

Adam Herstein said:

Paul said:

Adam Herstein said:

Thunder Snow said:

notoriousDUG said:

You shouldn't HAVE to. You shouldn't HAVE to worry about woman like her either.

Adam Herstein said:

You can't possibly be serious. Why should I have to arm myself in order to bike safely on the roads?

Paul said:

So your solution to prevent people from acting aggressively is to give them all guns? This woman was willing to nearly kill someone with her car. What's going to stop her from doing the same with a gun?

Paul said:

Adam Herstein said:

Paul said:

Some people like the idea, some don't. I see your point. As to your question, it's harder to kill with a gun, than a car.

Adam Herstein said:

So your solution to prevent people from acting aggressively is to give them all guns? This woman was willing to nearly kill someone with her car. What's going to stop her from doing the same with a gun?

Paul said:

Adam Herstein said:

Paul said:

You point out the flaw in your own reasoning: In California, he has the right to conceal and carry. But that did not prevent her from acting as a raging lunatic.

So much for your argument that conceal and carry makes the streets safer.

Paul said:

Adam Herstein said:

Paul said:

It did not. When trapped and waiting to die I'd like the option. When did I say anything about safer streets? - To Adam I'm not trying to change the subject, just gave my opinion. Like I said its not for everyone. Do what you want. Most people in Illinois agree with you anyway.

Duppie said:

You point out the flaw in your own reasoning: In California, he has the right to conceal and carry. But that did not prevent her from acting as a raging lunatic.

So much for your argument that conceal and carry makes the streets safer.

Paul said:

Adam Herstein said:

Paul said:

Adam,

If I may suggest an edit to the subject line of this discussion, I'd like to suggest:

"Argue senselessly with gun nut (was Conversation with a Bike Lane Blocker)"

Maybe we should just stop feeding the troll.

h' said:

Adam,

If I may suggest an edit to the subject line of this discussion, I'd like to suggest:

"Argue senselessly with gun nut (was Conversation with a Bike Lane Blocker)"

I'm on your side, Adam, really I am, but if you go back and read the last few pages, unless some content is missing/deleted, clearly you're the main participant egging the gun nut on.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service