The Chainlink

Please, to any of you riding with a cold, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, etc., please please think about and look behind you before you blow your nose or spit or whatever it is while you are riding. Remember, there may be others behind you. Maybe instead of just blowing crud into the air, use a glove with the terry cloth thumb (that is what I use) to wipe your nose with, or just suck it up, or just look behind you and make sure another cyclist or pedestrian isn't behind you or near you. 

I have no idea if anyone else ever has experienced this, but I am sure we all have at one time or another.  The scenario: A fellow cyclist is ahead of you, he turns his head like he is looking to the side, but instead of looking, he proceeds to close one nostril with a finger and blows his nose out and directly in your riding path...or he/she spits, coughs, hacks, etc.  I understand this is cold season, and for some maybe allergies play a part, but a fellow cyclist that was riding a few feet in front of me today blew his nose while riding and yes, some of it landed on me...NASTY. I wasn't all that close to him, maybe 10 feet or so, but the wind and the fact someone is riding their bike sometimes makes that nasty stuff fly quite a bit further back and doesn't always hit the ground first.  In fact, it sometimes hits the person behind you.

So please, this Fall and Winter, ride safely and ride courteously.  Thank you all!

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gross!!! (Sorry--not a meaningful contribution to the thread)
Do you have a description?
I'm not digging for the thread but there's apparently a cyclist out there who's been doing this intentionally.
This one?

H3N3 said:
I'm not digging for the thread but there's apparently a cyclist out there who's been doing this intentionally.
Thanks, Kevin. That's the thread I remember.

Please, folks, let's try NOT to spit or blow snot rockets on other people. That's even worse than people throwing stuff at us out of car windows.

Kevin Conway said:
This one?

H3N3 said:
I don't think this was intentional, he seemed genuinely sick, so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. It was just that he wasn't paying much attention to things around him or maybe he didn't realize that snots can travel in the air quite a few feet. I have seen people spit while riding, too, but again, never thought it was intentional- just disgusting. I read the thread Kevin linked to, and it definitely wasn't that guy.

After the incident I just sped past the guy as I could see he was having cold or allergy issues and I just didn't want to be caught behind him. I just figured this was a neutral way to let people be aware, as this was the first snot issue I had ever experienced, but I have had spittle issues (again, people not looking back before they spit).

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Anne Alt said:
Please, folks, let's try NOT to spit or blow snot rockets on other people.

Are you implying that is OK to blow snot rockets or spit when no bicyclist or pedestrian is around? Unless you're in a race and you are two minutes away from throwing up, blowing snot is just gross
Around this time of year, I save all my "stuff" for cars that cut me off and large SUVs, even if they are parked.
No. Not implying any such thing. I think it's disgusting regardless of context. It's a lot MORE disgusting if it hits someone else.

Duppie said:
Anne Alt said:
Please, folks, let's try NOT to spit or blow snot rockets on other people.

Are you implying that is OK to blow snot rockets or spit when no bicyclist or pedestrian is around? Unless you're in a race and you are two minutes away from throwing up, blowing snot is just gross
Snotrockets are gross. Snot, in general, is gross. It is a gross thing that needs to be disposed of one way or another. I don't see snotrockets as more gross than blowing your nose into a tissue and then putting the tissue into the trash, or more gross than wiping it on your glove. Once it's on the street, outdoors, it's not going to affect anyone. Obviously I agree with the OP, in the interest of safety and decorum, it's best to do this when no one else is close enough to even witness, much less get hit.

Duppie said:
F-ed up.

Juan Dominguez said:
Around this time of year, I save all my "stuff" for cars that cut me off and large SUVs, even if they are parked.

What did my parked SUV do to you to receive your bodily fluids?!
So sorry you own one of those environmental disasters.

Shawn C. said:

Juan Dominguez said:

What did my parked SUV do to you to receive your bodily fluids?!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service