The Chainlink

As the weather gets colder, I find myself spending more and more time salivating over stylish bike gear online, but when it comes to clothing, I always like trying the fit before I buy. The problem I find is that most LBS's carry only a smattering of clothes, and the places I know with the bigger selections don't really seem to have my (epic!) tastes in mind. So what's the best place in the city to look for good looking bike clothing?

While I'm at it, I'll tell you what ruins many a nice piece of gear - A giant (insert brand name here) logo splattered all over it.

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

rei?
REI or Performance. Both have a no questions asked return policy.
You can even order your specific size online, have it shipped to the store for free and try. If it doesn't fit, return it on the spot
What about Ebay if you aren't looking there already? Obviously you can't try the clothes on, but if you're familiar with a certain brand and like the fit, then you'd probably be more than safe in buying before trying on. Pretty much all of my biking clothes are from there and I've gotten some REALLY sweet deals...
Thanks for the tips folks. Today I found some classy threads at Kozy's at 219 W. Erie. Pricy, but I suppose that's to be expected.
I stumbled across a store the other day called Connect on Milwaukee. They carry Nau clothing, awesome stuff, but it is pretty pricey.
I didn't know they were still in business. They got started by a bunch of ex-Patagonia employees and had a concept store on Halsted for a while, but that failed (it really was a dumb concept). They try really hard to be more sustainable/environmentally friendly than Patagonia.

Eric Roach said:
I stumbled across a store the other day called Connect on Milwaukee. They carry Nau clothing, awesome stuff, but it is pretty pricey.
They closed thier walk in locations. They still sell through places like Connect and on the internet. They are more expensive than a lot of other brands, but thier items are not only ecologically and fashoion minded, they are very performance oriented as well.
Think of it this way: If you wat to look great and, at the same time, bring these pieces out for performance, get this brand or Arc'Teryx, and Patagoinia.

Duppie said:
I didn't know they were still in business. They got started by a bunch of ex-Patagonia employees and had a concept store on Halsted for a while, but that failed (it really was a dumb concept). They try really hard to be more sustainable/environmentally friendly than Patagonia.

Eric Roach said:
I just saw some cool fashion / bikes on the Interbike Urban Legend Fashion Show.

Nice Rebour illustrations at :21, and some big tweed love at 2:11, check it out, BBCrs :)

I was stylin' in my green vinyl camping poncho this morning. Need to find some cool boots asap.
My favorite places right now:

Kozys (best stylish clothing selection)
Village Cyclery

My favorite new purchase so far:
Pearl Izumi Amfib tights. I know these are gonna work all winter and they are more durable than the merino wool tights I used to wear. And for 40% off!
Also an Icebreaker 250 top is my favorite baselayer. Soft and warm.

Check Uncle Dan's or Erehwon for Icebreaker
I have 15 years worth of cold-weather running gear; and there is a fair amount of overlap (think layering)
with cycling clothing.

this is a good,timely thread with good ideas.

The army surplus store on Lincoln (Belmont Army ?) is also a good spot.

DB

p.s. I bought a great pair of (lobster) downhill ski gloves (outer shell and inner layer) at Marshall's years ago that I LOVE ! think outside the box (I hate that term)

daniel brown said:
I have 15 years worth of cold-weather running gear; and there is a fair amount of overlap (think layering)
with cycling clothing.

this is a good,timely thread with good ideas.

The army surplus store on Lincoln (Belmont Army ?) is also a good spot.

DB

p.s. I bought a great pair of (lobster) downhill ski gloves (outer shell and inner layer) at Marshall's years ago that I LOVE ! think outside the box (I hate that term)
My favorite has been REI lately. You just have to become a member and look out for their sales. I found a $60 pair of waterproof insulated gloves for only $20 at one of their garage sales and ordered some cool rain boots at 25% off

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service