The Chainlink

has anybody taken church westbound from evanston to n. branch trail?  how are the conditions?  google street view shows that in couple of sections it seems to be 2 narrow lanes and not too bicycle friendly.  

thanks,

damir

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

damir,

I take Evanston to the north channel trail every day, from Church St. and the lakefront. The best way is to take Davis until Florence (Davis doesn't go through after Florence) and turn right on Florence, left on Church. That way, you are only on Church for a short while. Davis is more bike friendly.

It's fine in the early morning, about 6:30 AM before the motorized hoard gets out of bed to create the traffic jams we hear about on the radio.  So, at about PM rush hour, it's somewhat unsuitable after the Highway 94 overpass towards Evanston, full of rude and insensitive drivers.  Once you hit Skokie Boulevard, I totally agree with Fergie.  Go south and take the side streets to McCormick.

The weekend is similar.  Sunday night is of course very quiet.  It certainly depends on when you decide to take the route.

The problem with the side streets is that there aren't any fully continuous ones from Evanston to the N Branch trail.  I've used Church to get from the North Shore Channel Trail to the N Branch several times, usually at the end of the PM rush.  Its certainly the best option in the area.  And a long section was repaved a couple years ago.

I use this route going west. Coming east I just stay on Church all the way. As long as you are comfortable riding with moderate traffic this is a very good route.

Fergie said:

damir,

I take Evanston to the north channel trail every day, from Church St. and the lakefront. The best way is to take Davis until Florence (Davis doesn't go through after Florence) and turn right on Florence, left on Church. That way, you are only on Church for a short while. Davis is more bike friendly.

The bit around Skokie Blvd can be busy but overall it's a decent route and the only good way to get over the Edens in the area.

took church to nbt yesterday (starting at e. prairie rd. in evanston) and it was fine...thanks everyone.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service