The Chainlink

Peace All,

Red Bike & Green + The Pioneers Bicycle Club present...

The Southside Ride for Chicago Critical Mass

This Critical Mass route proposal is a 14-mile tour of some of Chicago's African-American cultural & historical landmarks. Highlights along the route will include the site of the Chess Records studios, the Bronzeville Victory Monument, Ida B. Wells' home, the Harold Washington Cultural Center, the DuSable Museum, the Obamas' house and much more. The ride will end at the new 31st Street marina and beach.

Check out the map at:
http://chicagocriticalmass.org/
Scroll down on the home page and click on the flyer for the full size image.

A special thanks to the lovely Eboni Senai, a true gem in our city. Her work as the Founder of Red Bike & Green - Chicago is energizing bicycling culture in the African American community of Chicago. Also want to share a huge thanks with John Greenfield, Willow Naeco, and Steven Lane for their early, active, and consistent support of this effort.

We will meet up at 5:30pm on Friday, August 31st at the Picasso statue at Daley Plaza. Please join us for a beautiful ride through parts of the Southside of Chicago!

...how about a post-ride afterparty?
Peoples DJs Collective 3YR Anniversary BBQ
2236 S. Marshall Blvd., Chicago
(block west of California & Cermak)
http://www.facebook.com/events/273511979429664/

Rock on,

Oboi
The Pioneers Bicycle Club
@theycallmeOboi

Views: 4171

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bring extra agua!

Thunder Snow said:

beautiful partly sunny 94 degree August day

Much of the south side has a lot less traffic congestion and relatively few drivers with a grand sense of entitlement - in other words, the opposite of River North and Lincoln Park, in good ways.

notoriousDUG said:

The point is to upset you.

You really are that important.

Barry Aldridge said:

I feel sorry for the people on the South Side if Critical Mass is going through their neighborhood. I thank goodness they've only come through my area once.  At my side-street intersection, drivers were trapped for over 20 minutes - I think the cyclists made alot of enemies that day. Can someone explain to me the point of what seems to be an arrogant, childish whim masquerading as a protest?

A whole 20 minutes?  

Ermahgerd!!!!

August tends to be smaller because of vacations and school breaks and such but I think 2000, give or take 300 is a fair estimate.

It also tends to be the longest ride because it's actually started to cool off in the evenings, so I think it's probably the best month for a longer route.

Thunder Snow said:

Hmmm, Friday's projected to be a beautiful partly sunny 94 degree August day.  I'm betting 2,000+ riders.

John Greenfield said:

...so with 1,000 or so companions....

Start to finish videos generally range from about 6 to 12 minutes-- but it was nice of Barry and his neighbors to wait an extra 10 minutes in case of possible stragglers.

James BlackHeron said:

A whole 20 minutes?  

Ermahgerd!!!!

But I paid $XX,XXX for this MF@@#ing car.  Get the F$%@# out of my F$@@#%ing way or I'll run your ass down!

h' said:

Start to finish videos generally range from about 6 to 12 minutes-- but it was nice of Barry and his neighbors to wait an extra 10 minutes in case of possible stragglers.

James BlackHeron said:

A whole 20 minutes?  

Ermahgerd!!!!

Should be a fun ride afterwards i'll be heading out to do full moon fiasco ride if anybody else is interested in riding together.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for them.  In my experience, every time the mass has headed to the more southern side of the city the response from motorists and pedestrians has been among the most enthusiastic and supportive I've seen.  

Barry Aldridge said:

I feel sorry for the people on the South Side if Critical Mass is going through their neighborhood. I thank goodness they've only come through my area once.  At my side-street intersection, drivers were trapped for over 20 minutes - I think the cyclists made alot of enemies that day. Can someone explain to me the point of what seems to be an arrogant, childish whim masquerading as a protest?

it was beautiful John and looking forward to thousands of our closest friends joining us on Friday!

John Greenfield said:

Yep. We had a very pleasant test ride just the three of us yesterday, so with 1,000 or so companions you'll be very safe indeed.

Adam Herstein said:

Are these neighborhoods safe to bike though?

I am glad this is happening!  I never witnessed the mass go to the South Side during my sporadic attendance for the past couple years. Did the mass ever go south before?

Well said!   "sense of entitlement" , if only we had less of that.

Anne Alt said:

Much of the south side has a lot less traffic congestion and relatively few drivers with a grand sense of entitlement - in other words, the opposite of River North and Lincoln Park, in good ways.

we are on the same team Thunder Snow. i am goin 2000+ riders also!

Thunder Snow said:

Hmmm, Friday's projected to be a beautiful partly sunny 94 degree August day.  I'm betting 2,000+ riders.

John Greenfield said:

...so with 1,000 or so companions....

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service