The Chainlink

Peace All,

Red Bike & Green + The Pioneers Bicycle Club present...

The Southside Ride for Chicago Critical Mass

This Critical Mass route proposal is a 14-mile tour of some of Chicago's African-American cultural & historical landmarks. Highlights along the route will include the site of the Chess Records studios, the Bronzeville Victory Monument, Ida B. Wells' home, the Harold Washington Cultural Center, the DuSable Museum, the Obamas' house and much more. The ride will end at the new 31st Street marina and beach.

Check out the map at:
http://chicagocriticalmass.org/
Scroll down on the home page and click on the flyer for the full size image.

A special thanks to the lovely Eboni Senai, a true gem in our city. Her work as the Founder of Red Bike & Green - Chicago is energizing bicycling culture in the African American community of Chicago. Also want to share a huge thanks with John Greenfield, Willow Naeco, and Steven Lane for their early, active, and consistent support of this effort.

We will meet up at 5:30pm on Friday, August 31st at the Picasso statue at Daley Plaza. Please join us for a beautiful ride through parts of the Southside of Chicago!

...how about a post-ride afterparty?
Peoples DJs Collective 3YR Anniversary BBQ
2236 S. Marshall Blvd., Chicago
(block west of California & Cermak)
http://www.facebook.com/events/273511979429664/

Rock on,

Oboi
The Pioneers Bicycle Club
@theycallmeOboi

Views: 4171

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never have done CCM, but this ride looks really interesting.  Not worried about the ride, but how about heading north on the LFP to Belmont Harbor afterward?  It is dark at 8:00 now, and I would not want to dot it alone.

wow, good stuff Paul!!! i lived at 7300 s. shore drive for a few years and went to Powell elem school. lets hit the party together. and others are talking about rolling also.

Paul Fitz, Scrabblor said:

Oboi, I live in South Shore off 76th st. the PDJC party is at cermak + marshall.  I'm trying to figure out how to juggle it all right now... I think a baby sitter may be needed.

hey Lisa - please do join us and i'd love to meet you. i'd imagine that many riders will take the lakefront trail back north, at least until downtown, and likely even further north. we expect the ride to take about 2 hours from daley plaza to 31st street beach. trust this helps and look forward to riding with you on Fri.

Lisa Curcio said:

Never have done CCM, but this ride looks really interesting.  Not worried about the ride, but how about heading north on the LFP to Belmont Harbor afterward?  It is dark at 8:00 now, and I would not want to dot it alone.

I'll be heading up to Belmont Harbor as well. I'd imagine that many others will be too. The Lake Front Trail is pretty well-lit in most places, but I would definitely bring lights if you are concerned.

Lisa Curcio said:

Thanks Adam.  Not the lighting I was worried about :-).  And I have a big bike with lights permanently attached.  BTW, Did I forget to mention I ride slow?

Adam Herstein said:

I'll be heading up to Belmont Harbor as well. I'd imagine that many others will be too. The Lake Front Trail is pretty well-lit in most places, but I would definitely bring lights if you are concerned.

Lisa Curcio said:

I generally ride pretty slow as well. Definitely more people passing me than I am passing.

Lisa Curcio said:

Thanks Adam.  Not the lighting I was worried about :-).  And I have a big bike with lights permanently attached.  BTW, Did I forget to mention I ride slow?

Adam Herstein said:

Lisa Curcio said:

Ask Gabe...

Adam Herstein said:

Are these neighborhoods safe to bike though?

I bike through these neighborhoods all the time. I never had a problem.

agreed.

Mike McCune said:

I bike through these neighborhoods all the time. I never had a problem.

Looks to me like the route was pretty carefully tailored to stay in "safe" areas.

I will be heading towards Cermak and Marshall afterwards . . . is there more info on the DJ event somewhere? Would be super cool if it were taking place inside the"Apollos 2000" theater as I've always wanted to see the inside.

me and several other riders are goin to the people's dj collective party also. here is the info: http://www.facebook.com/events/273511979429664/

and if you not on facebook:

Peoples DJs Collective 3YR Anniversary BBQ

Friday, 5:30pm until 10:00pm

2236 S. Marshall Blvd., Chicago, IL (block west of California & Cermak)

We're celebrating 3 years! The DJ/dance/activist community and any and all fans of music & liberation are welcome to join us on beautiful Marshall Blvd in Little Village for some good tunes, food & company.

Various folks from the Peoples crew will be playing music off the stoop. Friends welcome & kid-friendly for sure- let us know and maybe we'll setup the kiddie pool. We'll have some basics but please bring a side, drink, cooler, lawn chair, blanket or somethin for the grill. We'll have records out for sw

ap/sale- feel free to bring your dusties.

No worries if ya don't know anyone- we're a friendly bunch! Sorry no accessible bathroom here.

So far confirmed djs:
// La Perla
// Chapulin
// Dishwasha
// Itzi Nallah
// Dookie Blaster
// Sound Culture
// DJ Limbs (tentative)
// NastyNod (tentative)
// others?

Looking forward!
In solidarity,
Peoples DJs Collective
ps. Please help us clean up afterwards! And FYI free parking on the street starts 6pm. 

pps. we may be continuing the celebrations saturday with a peoples collaboration at working bikes and sunday at a bridgeport block party- details tba.

h' said:

Looks to me like the route was pretty carefully tailored to stay in "safe" areas.

I will be heading towards Cermak and Marshall afterwards . . . is there more info on the DJ event somewhere? Would be super cool if it were taking place inside the"Apollos 2000" theater as I've always wanted to see the inside.

Bad news-- right now it seems only 3 people are attending:

http://www.thechainlink.org/events/chicago-critical-mass-the-souths...

Hopefully the south side proposal will pick up this steam once this thread has a few hundred replies.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service