The Chainlink

Hello Chainlink people!

So, my name is Kevin and I'm fairly new to this community but have been a cyclist at heart for good chunk of time.  But what brings me here posting today is that I really, really want to start a cycling program here in Chicago.  And this is what it will be...

It will be called Chicago Bike Angels.  Chi Bike Angels will connect aspiring cyclists with enthusiastic volunteers who will show them the ropes of city riding and most importantly, giving them the confidence and support they need to start.  How many of us know at least one person who wants to ride but is intimidated or scared of the city streets?  Well, Bike Angels will get those folks out there!  Bike Angels will meet one-on-one with these people and ride and chat with them giving them the much needed know-how and support.

The program started in Sao Paulo, Brazil but has spread across the country (check their website here).  The idea was brought to me by a traveling Brazilian I met in Chicago and since then, I've skyped with the founders in Brazil and just yesterday, had dinner with Julie from The Chainlink who said we could use the site if needed (whoohoo! Julie, you're the best!).

Chi Bike Angels is just an idea now but I'm looking to find some nice people who would want to help out with organizing any aspect of the project.  Could that be you?? Please respond to the thread or message me if you want to help or just have an idea. I'm thinking that we'll have a first meeting in the next week or two and by Spring, we'll be on the streets with some new cyclists!

Ok, thanks for reading this big post and let me know if you can be involved! 

Kevin

Update:  First meeting for anyone/everyone will be Saturday, Jan 21 at 3pm at On The Route Bicycles (3144 N Lincoln).  Also, anyone interested in helping at all, please email chibikebud@gmail.com so we can keep you in communication and be in contact!  Also, name change - we are now Bike Buddies.  Thanks for all the support so far, woo! 

Views: 2013

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm interested in helping!

I commute daily to work...putting ~50-100 miles a week on my bike in the city. I'd be interested in helping out in whatever capacity your highness sees fit :)

This is a great idea

Kevin - I'd love to help out!  (Also, I am working on my web development skills, so if there is any development that would need to be done, either integrating with Chainlink or on a separate site, perhaps I could tackle that!)

-- Shirlee

This is a really cool idea, way to take the initiative on it. If you could use a logo, let me know. I got design skillllz that I could lend a hand with! Just message me separately... I don't do a very good job of following the threads.

Yeah! We definitely need some cool stickers or shirts.

I've been told I have a nice-ish face. I'm down!

I can participate in this. 

Awesome idea...I'll do anything to help get more people on bikes. Can't meet on the 21st but please keep me posted on future meetings, rides etc.

Thanks!

Awesome.  I have had the same idea but I was thinking of calling it Bike Buddies.  Whatever.  Sign me up.  I think the best way to get others to ride is to *show* them how easy it can be.  

If I can help, I'd love to. Please keep me posted.

Id  be willing to pick the person up in  the morning and ride with them to work  and meet them after work to ride with them home again. Possibly getting together on a weekend first to try out the route without the pressure of having to arrive at a certain time plus traffic  MAY  be a little easier to handle on a weekend.

Could you please tell us were & when's with time as well.

Thanks

Kevin Swanson said:

Wow - I'm so excited with all the replies already!  Thanks!  I'll be messaging you all to start gathering emails to make a listserve.

Let's tentatively schedule a first meeting for the Saturday, Jan 21 in the afternoon.  Would that work?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service