The Chainlink

I'm contemplating riding the Apple Cider Century, but only have my beat to hell three speed. Is it a mad idea to ride a century on a 3-speed? If you recommend against it, what do you think would be a good selection?

Views: 1125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No crazy at all. Obviously not ideal but it will work.

I did my first Perimeter Ride on a 3-speed. I would anticipate the pace and number of hills on the Apple Cider Century to be far more prodigious. I think you would find attempting it on a 3-speed unpleasant. Borrow someone's road bike or mountain bike-something with a derailleur and multiple gears. 

People have managed RAGBRAI on Xtracycles.  Go for it.

Have you done a century at all?  I have not.  My longest ride has been about 65 miles on a Linus Dutchie 8 speed.  I did it at a reasonable pace for me and for the bike, but I don't recommend it. :-)

Apple Cider Century has shorter routes, too.  Maybe try it, but if it does not work out go for one of the shorter routes.

+1 to Kevin C. - Borrow a bike. (Then ride with me!) I rode on my commuter/hybrid in that ride a few years ago, and man, I had a really hard time after about 70 miles. I was with cyclists on lighter, better road bikes, but even if I wasn't, it would have hurt after awhile...

Hopefully not too off-topic.

Does anyone know if there is day-of registration for Apple Cider Century available?

I checked the site and it wasn't clear (to me anyway).

Thanks.

The condition of the rider is more important than the choice of bicycle.  People ride Paris-Brest-Paris on fixed gears.  I rode a multi-day tour and someone on a fixie zoomed past me on the steepest climbs, which were more difficult than the rolling hills of ACC.  Does "beat to hell" refer to your bike's aesthetics or its function?

Well, at my usual speed of 8 mph, that would mean I'd still be on the course after they've taken down the flags and sent home the volunteers. Maybe I've just answered my own question...

Jeff Schneider said:

The questions really are:

1) How much time do you want to take? and,

2) How do you want to feel at the end?

If your goal is to ride from sunrise to sunset and feel completely wiped out at the end, a heavy 3-spd is just the thing.  Assuming you would like a little less grueling experience, it would be a good idea to ride a lighter machine that has a few more gears (and preferably some low ones).

If you borrow a bike, you really should do some shakedown rides with it prior to the Century.  You want to be sure everything is adjusted properly for comfort and function before committing to 100 miles in the hills.

Hmmm, I'd say I'm just as beat-to-hell as my three speed (which refers to the aesthetics only, now that I had the gear shift replaced last week). 

djm said:

The condition of the rider is more important than the choice of bicycle.  People ride Paris-Brest-Paris on fixed gears.  I rode a multi-day tour and someone on a fixie zoomed past me on the steepest climbs, which were more difficult than the rolling hills of ACC.  Does "beat to hell" refer to your bike's aesthetics or its function?

If you're already up to mileages that are not too far off a century, and you're comfortable on your 3-speed (and it's in decent shape), then I think you'll be fine.

I'm definitely thinking about it....happens to be my dad's birthday, so need to nail down festivities and find a bike...

Sarah D. 1-3.3 said:

+1 to Kevin C. - Borrow a bike. (Then ride with me!) I rode on my commuter/hybrid in that ride a few years ago, and man, I had a really hard time after about 70 miles. I was with cyclists on lighter, better road bikes, but even if I wasn't, it would have hurt after awhile...

I've never done a century. Thanks for sharing your experience. It's sounding like I may need to borrow a bike. 

Lisa Curcio 6.5 mi said:

Have you done a century at all?  I have not.  My longest ride has been about 65 miles on a Linus Dutchie 8 speed.  I did it at a reasonable pace for me and for the bike, but I don't recommend it. :-)

Apple Cider Century has shorter routes, too.  Maybe try it, but if it does not work out go for one of the shorter routes.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service