The Chainlink

Just sat down with my new Spring 13 Bike Map, some multi-colored highlighters, along with my 2012 version of the map; the plan being to "update" my ragged, multi-notated old map onto the new one. Then I saw something that made me throw this down here....

They've gone and removed all the bike shops in this new version!!

No more bike shop locations. Nada. Gone.

Instead, they give us (in theory) locations of the Divvy Bike Share program (which most of us don't need). Well, so much for the new "improved" 2013 version.

The old map, which I am keeping (and throwing away the 2012 version), helped me twice last year in locating the nearest bike shop when I needed support on the road.

I'm sure there are many of you that haven't yet realized what they have erased from the old map. I think we should let Bike Chicago (and Rahm) know what a screw-up this is. I mean, really?

Ignoring our city's bicycle shops should be as scandalous as the fact that we're closing 50 schools and shrugging shoulders over the parking meter scam. Anybody out there wanna start f-ing screaming?

norman kaeseberg (pokey)

Views: 997

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

correcting my own rant here. I meant to write ("throwing away the 2013 version") sorry - oops

Ignoring our city's bicycle shops should be as scandalous as the fact that we're closing 50 schools and shrugging shoulders over the parking meter scam. Anybody out there wanna start f-ing screaming?

Not sure I'd call them equally scandalous. The 2011 map is still available online, if not on paper. You could always re-mark them on the new paper map, and use Yelp/Googlemap to double-check if any have closed. It would probably be quicker than f-ing screaming, and better for the lungs.

It would probably be quicker

Whoops, no it wouldn't.

you wanna stand out there doing yelp, go for it. my point is WE HAD BIKE SHOPS ON LAST YEAR'S CITY MAP. and it was helpful, to tons of people. THE SHOP LOCATIONS ARE GONE NOW.  period. If you don't get what I'm saying here, go google yourself.

Peter G. said:

Not sure I'd call them equally scandalous. The 2011 map is still available online, if not on paper. You could always re-mark them on the new paper map, and use Yelp/Googlemap to double-check if any have closed. It would probably be quicker than f-ing screaming, and better for the lungs.

For those of you white northsiders, take it from me.  The City is not closing any busy good schools, only unpopular small ones.  Parents are sending their kids more and more on the south side and west side to Charter and private schools in the hope of their kids getting a better education than what CPS has provided in those closing schools.  The only parents I know whose kids are still going to the underused schools that are closing are those who are not advocating for their kids enough.  Schools should not be places in which to dump kids.  Kids, especially those in under resourced neighborhoods, deserve a good education.  If the schools don't succeed, why shouldn't they close them?  When the educational system is not working for all our kids, especially our minority kids, we should shut down the parts that are shown not to be, and find alternatives.  And all of Chicago should get involved.

What I find annoyingly typical is that the number of routes indicated for bikes keeps diminishing on the south side year after year after year.  I don't know if I have 2013 but I have several different annual editions and the other day I was noticing that.

While they are building protected and other types of bike lanes  all over the north side, the south side is not only neglected by moving backwards. 

Bruce said:

What I find annoyingly typical is that the number of routes indicated for bikes keeps diminishing on the south side year after year after year.  I don't know if I have 2013 but I have several different annual editions and the other day I was noticing that.

While they are building protected and other types of bike lanes  all over the north side, the south side is not only neglected by moving backwards. 

What I find fascinating is the fact that OP cares that much about the new bike maps.
Comparing it to closing public schools and the parking meter deal? This thread is a goof right?
Maybe they privatized the maps too...

Its probably a combination of all three, however I do remember one of the first planned PBLs was supposed to be on Stony Island but got scrapped due to complaints from residents.

Jeff Schneider said:

Why is this happening?  I can think of a few possibilities, but honestly don't know how important (if at all) each one is:

1) south side lacks political clout;

2) south side lacks enough cyclists to justify infrastructure spending;

3) south side communities don't want cycling infrastructure, prefer cars and car parking.

Any south side Chainlinkers care to opine?

Bruce said:

Also there is the chicken/egg problem. Tons of people ride on the south side, but compared to the north side far, far less of us do. Less riders results in less demand for or perception of the need for bike infrastructure. But I think the lack of safe routes to ride is a large part of why there are less riders. Due to the confluence of I-55, the river and rail lines, Archer is the only even remotely direct route to/from the loop - but most of Archer is a cyclist's nightmare. 

The map itself seems like an improvement generally. It would have been nice to include bike shops, but I'm not sure I ever actually used that feature of the recent editions of the bike map.

S said:

Its probably a combination of all three, however I do remember one of the first planned PBLs was supposed to be on Stony Island but got scrapped due to complaints from residents.

Jeff Schneider said:

Why is this happening?  I can think of a few possibilities, but honestly don't know how important (if at all) each one is:

1) south side lacks political clout;

2) south side lacks enough cyclists to justify infrastructure spending;

3) south side communities don't want cycling infrastructure, prefer cars and car parking.

Any south side Chainlinkers care to opine?

Bruce said:

Yes, this affected several major north-south routes, some of which either have NOT been restored or have been partially restored (Vincennes).

About the planned Stony Island cycle track, my understanding was that it was longer in the planning stages due to the particular federal grant funding it.  Just looked up this article on the subject.

The issues affecting the south side (especially major barriers such as expressways, rail lines, waterways, and industrial areas) were discussed extensively during community outreach for the Streets for Cycling 2020 plan that led to prioritization of new bike facilities.  Thanks to lower population density, fewer cyclists and more of the general public (and aldermen) being clueless about transportation cycling, those of us on the south side continue to be mostly out of luck.  The area from Bronzeville to Hyde Park has benefitted the most so far.

Jennifer on the lake said:

Some bike lanes were removed "temporarily" for the Dan Ryan reconstruction, I recall.

I wonder ... could it be that the CDOT and Divvy are connected and that CDOT (who published the map) doesn't really care about privately owned bike shops?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service