The Chainlink

Many of you knew Carmelita from West Town Bikes and her work in with the youth program.  She passed away from cancer today.   She will be remembered by many here in Chicago. 

(Carmelita's Chainlink profile picture)

Views: 883

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've met Carmelita a handful of times over the last year. She was always an incredibly cheerful, welcoming and positive person. I will miss her.

Stunned.

She was always so enthusiastic and helpful.  A loss to everyone, not just the cycling community.

Wow this is really sad. She was a very special person & will be missed a lot.

That's right! She would wave and say Hi! to me in the streets and built my last rear wheel.

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

She was always so enthusiastic and helpful.  A loss to everyone, not just the cycling community.

I first met Carm at Women and Trans night at WTB. She was one of the first people to teach me basic bike maintenance and how to brave winter. I've never known anyone who smiled so much and had such gentle enthusiasm for getting people to ride. Such a loss for our community. Especially for Humboldt Park.

Carmelita was one of the kindest people I've ever met. So sorry to hear that she's gone. This is a loss to the bike community and the city.  I will miss her.

I too am shocked and saddened by this loss. I knew nothing of her battle with cancer and only knew he to be a welcoming, warm, knowledgable, and delightful person I was so proud to know in the bike community. Rest in peace, dear Carmelita. May many others follow in the path you lit so beautifully. 

From Carmie's family:

Very sad news today. West Town Bikes/Ciclo Urbano long-time staffer Carmelita Sams passed away. Nothing could ever replace her presence on this earth, and her family & friends appreciate everyone for all the love that has been pouring in.

Unfortunately, like many of us, she was not prepared with life insurance, and we are now trying to raise money as best as we can to fund the funeral arrangements. If you have it in your heart to donate anything you can, we would greatly appreciate it. 100% of the proceeds will go directly to the funeral arrangements.

Please spread this link to anyone that you think could help. Thank you so much, and God Bless You All! We know that our mother is smiling down on all of us.

Love,

Her family: Darrel, Michelle, Michael and Regina

Please send any questions to: help.carmelita@yahoo.com
DONATE by clicking HERE.

Donating so that we can celebrate Carmelita's wonderful spirit.

globalguy said:

From Carmie's family:

Very sad news today. West Town Bikes/Ciclo Urbano long-time staffer Carmelita Sams passed away. Nothing could ever replace her presence on this earth, and her family & friends appreciate everyone for all the love that has been pouring in.

Unfortunately, like many of us, she was not prepared with life insurance, and we are now trying to raise money as best as we can to fund the funeral arrangements. If you have it in your heart to donate anything you can, we would greatly appreciate it. 100% of the proceeds will go directly to the funeral arrangements.

Please spread this link to anyone that you think could help. Thank you so much, and God Bless You All! We know that our mother is smiling down on all of us.

Love,

Her family: Darrel, Michelle, Michael and Regina

Please send any questions to: help.carmelita@yahoo.com
DONATE by clicking HERE.

Any news on a memorial service?

Carmelita Sams Homegoing:
Leaks and Sons Funeral Home
18400 S Pulaski, Country Club Hills, Il
Wake: 6-9pm Monday 1/6
Viewing: 6pm Tuesday 1/7
Service: 7pm Tuesday 1/7
Repast immediately after service