The Chainlink

Last night, someone stole my black Brooks saddle and stem from my bike in Lincoln Square. 

I am looking to replace it asap, and wonder if: 

1) Anyone on here has a used one they can sell? 

2) You guys can at least point me to a place where I can buy a decent used one? (Are there stores in Chicago that carry used Brooks saddles? Or is Craigslist pretty much my only resource?)

Thank you.

Agnieszka 

Views: 1231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Roberts cycle in Rogers Park might have some old brooks.

I have a stock black seat post that I took of my new langster you can purchase for 15 bucks... 27.2 an d I live in Lincoln square   message me if interested

The poster on Craigslist with the $50 Brooks has had at least three saddles for sale in the past couple of weeks, none more than $50 with seatpost.  I would agree that it is likely hot.

Another way I have kept my saddle is by wrapping it up with a black plastic bag (the ones from the liquor store) and a ratty bungee cord. This method looks ugly but also helps to keep the saddle dry from a possible rain shower if parked outside.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Sorry to hear about your loss.  I know people love their Brooks saddles.  I have one, but never park that particular bike outside.

I've no leads on new ones, but there are a couple things you can do to hang onto your next one.  Either take it with you (if you have a quick release seatpost), lock it to your frame (they make cable locks for this), or glue ball bearings into the allen sockets on the seatpost (attached to the saddle) and the seat clamp (attached to the seat tube).  One or more of those methods should encourage opportunistic thieves to look elsewhere for their next score. Remember, you don't have to be the fastest antelope in the herd.  You just have to be faster than the slowest one.

I agree with Eric that the honey B17 on CL looks to be stolen.  Being sold (apparently) with the seatpost and for that price... definitely hot.

these days I just use a saddle leash looped though the saddle rails / ulock.

but I've done the superglue & bearing thing. way too hard to remove and the allen head was never fully cleaned out & I couldnt get the proper torque later on. some prefer bees wax for a bit simpler job. a pitlock or some kind of locking system / security bolt would probably be the best. 



william said:

a pitlock or some kind of locking system / security bolt would probably be the best. 

Speaking of which, has anybody here tried Atomic 22 stuff? It's definitely pricy (£59 for a pair of locking front or rear nuts). OTOH, there is at least one rather convincing testimonial out there.  Maybe worth the expense to tie down your nice wheels and seat.

Many thanks to Peter for hand-delivering and installing the very nice saddle and the post. The Chainlink community is one of my favorite things. 

It looks like a modification on pitlocks.  Unfortunately, I think it has the same vulnerability to certain inexpensive ways of removing them.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:



william said:

a pitlock or some kind of locking system / security bolt would probably be the best. 

Speaking of which, has anybody here tried Atomic 22 stuff? It's definitely pricy (£59 for a pair of locking front or rear nuts). OTOH, there is at least one rather convincing testimonial out there.  Maybe worth the expense to tie down your nice wheels and seat.

such as?

FYI, for those who pay attention to Brookses for sale locally, her saddle was an older (90s or maybe 80s) Champion Flyer with the 'Brooks' logo in an oval surround rather than the trapezoidal one, all black, on a Ritchey seatpost with a grey finish and the "TR" logo in white on the rear. Peter, thanks for taking care of the new saddle for her.

Hi Eric,

How do you "soak" it? How do you keep the acetone in the hollow? Is it just a few drops?

TIA.



Eric said:

I have used the ball bearing/superglue/allen sockets trick for the past year.

After soaking the socket in acetone for 15 minutes and scraping with a tiny pick and screwdriver to get the ball bearing out when I wanted to move the saddle to the other bike, and still struggling for another 15 to FINALLY get the ball bearing out, I am 100% confident in the superglue-ball bearing trick and have completely ceased worrying about my saddle being stolen.

Rained on, on the other hand....


Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Sorry to hear about your loss.  I know people love their Brooks saddles.  I have one, but never park that particular bike outside.

I've no leads on new ones, but there are a couple things you can do to hang onto your next one.  Either take it with you (if you have a quick release seatpost), lock it to your frame (they make cable locks for this), or glue ball bearings into the allen sockets on the seatpost (attached to the saddle) and the seat clamp (attached to the seat tube).  One or more of those methods should encourage opportunistic thieves to look elsewhere for their next score. Remember, you don't have to be the fastest antelope in the herd.  You just have to be faster than the slowest one.

I agree with Eric that the honey B17 on CL looks to be stolen.  Being sold (apparently) with the seatpost and for that price... definitely hot.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service