The Chainlink

Last night, someone stole my black Brooks saddle and stem from my bike in Lincoln Square. 

I am looking to replace it asap, and wonder if: 

1) Anyone on here has a used one they can sell? 

2) You guys can at least point me to a place where I can buy a decent used one? (Are there stores in Chicago that carry used Brooks saddles? Or is Craigslist pretty much my only resource?)

Thank you.

Agnieszka 

Views: 1267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry to hear your saddle got stolen.

There's a used honey B17 (looks like) on CL right now, which is almost certainly stolen based on the price, description and photo.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/4020877911.html

Your discretion.

edit: This one looks legit, and black like your lost one: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/4010361999.html

I have a black B17 and a Honey B17 N that I'm currently not using. Pretty low miles on both.

Sorry to hear that yours was lifted.

Peter - How much are you asking for? I may be interested in the one Agnieszka doesn't want.

Peter said:

I have a black B17 and a Honey B17 N that I'm currently not using. Pretty low miles on both.

I would accept $75 for each one.

Sorry to hear about your loss.  I know people love their Brooks saddles.  I have one, but never park that particular bike outside.

I've no leads on new ones, but there are a couple things you can do to hang onto your next one.  Either take it with you (if you have a quick release seatpost), lock it to your frame (they make cable locks for this), or glue ball bearings into the allen sockets on the seatpost (attached to the saddle) and the seat clamp (attached to the seat tube).  One or more of those methods should encourage opportunistic thieves to look elsewhere for their next score. Remember, you don't have to be the fastest antelope in the herd.  You just have to be faster than the slowest one.

I agree with Eric that the honey B17 on CL looks to be stolen.  Being sold (apparently) with the seatpost and for that price... definitely hot.

Peter, 

Thank you. Do you happen to have a seat post as well? That was also stolen. 

Best, 

Agnieszka

OLB 0.1 said:

Peter - How much are you asking for? I may be interested in the one Agnieszka doesn't want.

Peter said:

Thank you, Skip. I'll definitely lock it to the frame. 

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Sorry to hear about your loss.  I know people love their Brooks saddles.  I have one, but never park that particular bike outside.

I've no leads on new ones, but there are a couple things you can do to hang onto your next one.  Either take it with you (if you have a quick release seatpost), lock it to your frame (they make cable locks for this), or glue ball bearings into the allen sockets on the seatpost (attached to the saddle) and the seat clamp (attached to the seat tube).  One or more of those methods should encourage opportunistic thieves to look elsewhere for their next score. Remember, you don't have to be the fastest antelope in the herd.  You just have to be faster than the slowest one.

I agree with Eric that the honey B17 on CL looks to be stolen.  Being sold (apparently) with the seatpost and for that price... definitely hot.

I may. What size do you need?

I would need 27.2mm diameter seat post, the most standard size.

Sorry. The only available post I have is a 27.0mm. It would work short term until you have a chance to find one that fits.

Ok. Cool. Why don't I friend you, Peter, and we can exchange private info re: seat. 

I have used the ball bearing/superglue/allen sockets trick for the past year.

After soaking the socket in acetone for 15 minutes and scraping with a tiny pick and screwdriver to get the ball bearing out when I wanted to move the saddle to the other bike, and still struggling for another 15 to FINALLY get the ball bearing out, I am 100% confident in the superglue-ball bearing trick and have completely ceased worrying about my saddle being stolen.

Rained on, on the other hand....

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service