The Chainlink

Hey everyone. The man who Killed Bobby Cann has an extremely good and well paid layer. The facts coming out are that his BAC was .127 (roughly 6 drinks in an hour) and that he was driving 50 in a 30 when he hit Bobby. There were three other people in the car with him and no one stopped him from driving.
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130601/old-town/100k-bond-for-man-...

I am posting this because keeping media attention on this is prob the best way to make sure that these people do not get off easy.

I am asking for people to come out and talk about this. To show up at the court hearings and to over all not let this get swept under the rug.

I am asking for people in the community that can help with the to please get a hold of me.

Thanks!

Views: 17225

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

"Nick" = Perp's lawyer or friend. The name "Ryno" was used by his buddies on his Myspace page.

No painted stripe on the road or a series of plastic cones would have prevented this. 

Simone:  I know you were a close friend of Bobby's and I saw you quoted in the news.  I am very sorry for your loss.  I have never lost a friend that way, and it must be terrible for you.

Nick, who exactly are you, you've been a member here for, what, the last 12 hours?

Nick said:

I'm not saying its the city's fault and ryne should go free. Absolutely not. But if we are going to be an angry mob, let's be angry about an issue that can make a real difference.

Or lets all get mad at some dumb kid for being a dumb kid. He'll get an extra 5 years. Great. Then what....

Guys I'm going to unfollow this post so I can focus on work and such that's due tomorrow and this week. It's been nice debating and you all seem like good people.

Before I go, I would like to just say that Cann seemed like a great great great guy. And all of his friends that are hurting right now have every right to be mad at Ryne, his flashy mercedes, and his stupid website. The more I read about him, the more I feel that Bobby Cann would forgive Ryno, and lobby for bike lanes. Get something good, as much good as you can out of this terrible situation. An extra 5 years for this kid Ryne is no victory. Just my two cents. Peace.

Has anyone done this before? Would it entail an entire day off work?

Is anyone else considering going? I think I might.

Brian said:

Chicago Police are looking for volunteer court advocates for the July 17, 2013 court date. (It's at 9am at the 26th Street Court House.) What this means is, the police coordinate with concerned citizens who appear in court to show their support for the case. The sense is, when the community gets involved it sends a signal to the judge that this isn't "just another DUI" and helps to encourage stricter sentencing. 

If you are interested in volunteering, you can contact the Chicago Police 18th District Community Policing Office at 312-742-5778.

Let's see.

"Nick" joined right before he started commenting on one thread only, trying to change the subject to bike lanes instead of the driver and pulling facts out of his you-know-where. (5-6 cyclist related deaths since Bobby Cann's death)

I think you're right, MMM

MagMileMarauder said:

"Nick" = Perp's lawyer or friend. The name "Ryno" was used by his buddies on his Myspace page.

For those of you who aren't able to attend on July 17, you can still help send a strong message that drunk driving won't be tolerated by signing this petition asking State's Attorney Anita Alvarez to bring Sanhamel to trial instead of allowing a lesser plea bargain. There are already more than 600 signatures, but yours added to it would help.

Sign the petition here.

All the bike lanes in the world won't protect cyclists from drivers like Ryne.  Don't weasel out and blame the City.  Ryne must face the consequences of not driving responsibly.

Nick said:

Yes and blaming Ryne, like this guy and his petition is conveniently taking the blame off the city. Are you going to sit there and say these things about 'he needs to go to jail for a very long time' as if you have never had drinks and driven a car? Or been in a car when the driver has been drinking? Be honest before you start throwing stones.

Don't get it twisted. The city doesn't want us talking about the bike lanes here. Which is why they are calling on the public, something they rarely do. Had he not had a .1 BAC, it would be a bike lane issue. Such bs. FOCUS ON THE CITY! They are the ones who will get a way with murder here, Ryne's fate is sealed already.

Stop using this incident as fuel for the bike lane agenda. Protected bike lanes would not have stopped Mr. Hamel from driving drunk, and would have not protected Bobby from the car. The real issue here is preventing reckless driving. Bike lanes are irrelevant in this situation.

It would probably be just the morning. In any case, if anyone is interested in attending, it would make sense to contact the CPD Community Policing Office first to coordinate as a group rather than just showing up. They are helpful and are on our side on this. They want to see the charges they make stick just as much as anyone. It's important the cycling community presents itself as organized and professional on this if we are to make a strong statement.

Let's keep the focus of this thread on Bobby. 

Will G - 10mi said:

Has anyone done this before? Would it entail an entire day off work?

Is anyone else considering going? I think I might.

Brian said:

Chicago Police are looking for volunteer court advocates for the July 17, 2013 court date. (It's at 9am at the 26th Street Court House.) What this means is, the police coordinate with concerned citizens who appear in court to show their support for the case. The sense is, when the community gets involved it sends a signal to the judge that this isn't "just another DUI" and helps to encourage stricter sentencing. 

If you are interested in volunteering, you can contact the Chicago Police 18th District Community Policing Office at 312-742-5778.

Sucks that he has now "polluted" this discussion of cyclists.

MagMileMarauder said:

Depends on what kind of PBL. Plastic bollards wouldn't do much here or anywhere else to protect a cyclist from a crash, but if the lane is buffered with a concrete wall type of thing it would.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Stop using this incident as fuel for the bike lane agenda. Protected bike lanes would not have stopped Mr. Hamel from driving drunk, and would have not protected Bobby from the car. The real issue here is preventing reckless driving. Bike lanes are irrelevant in this situation.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service