The Chainlink

That is all.

Views: 1970

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I consider and call myself a biker. Most people I talk to can tell what kind of biker by my clothes, helmet, messenger bag or pannier, etc.  Occasionally they mix it up but oh well.  

Most of the Harley riders are exactly what Vondo says.  The outlaw bikers call themselves 1%ers for a reason.  

My observation supports this also.

Rich S said:

Most of the Harley riders are exactly what Vondo says.  The outlaw bikers call themselves 1%ers for a reason.  

Mexico and most of Europe (I think). We've adopted that usage to distinguish between the two motorcycles and the 20+ bicycles (for four families).

Vondo said:

I don't get why motorcycles are called "bikes" either, since bike is short for bicycle. There's no "b" in motorcycle. In Mexico, a motorcycle is called a "moto" and a bicycle "bici"

Hmmm ... a bit off topic but I wonder how the outlaw bikers feel now that occupy has "stolen" 1%er and applied it to the wealthiest people in the country.  

Tony Adams said:

My observation supports this also.

Rich S said:

Few people that know anything about motorcycles, and motorcycle culture, fail to recognize this.  

-or if you do, it's to your detriment.

Rich S said:

Hmmm ... a bit off topic but I wonder how the outlaw bikers feel now that occupy has "stolen" 1%er and applied it to the wealthiest people in the country.  

Was a 9 hour wait- i'm surprised.

On an engine as small as a motorcycles and on something that has as little extra space as a motorcycle it is very difficult to package the technology need to make them more efficient and cleaner but still maintain the expected performance.

Daniel G said:

Motorcycles continue to get really unimpressive gas mileage compared to newer cars. A single-occupant Prius (~55 MPG) crushes any hawg 's MPG (~25-40) and rivals most foreign 650cc's (~50-60 MPG). Add just one passenger to an older 35 MPG car and in terms of passenger-miles, it beats pretty much any single-rider motorcycle on the road, including the 250cc's, the most efficient cycles on the highway at ~70 MPG. I like motorcycles but I buy transport on efficiency, and motorcycles simply aren't. They're still seen as recreational devices and their customers haven't demanded greater efficiency. Of course they are less material intensive than new cars and greater efficiency gains will be seen if one only takes short trips around town, driving alone and idling a lot. I'll get into them again when the manufacturers attempt even half the improvement the automakers have seen in the past ten years.

Until then, STAY OUT OF THE BIKE LANE YOU ARE STILL TRAFFIC this is not mad max you are not special

I do tend to use bicycle and cyclist to avoid confusion.

The best part - bicycles and motorcycles can ride side by side in the same space it would take for 1 car!

I've found that cities (US and abroad) with a lot of scooters & motorcycles for transportation use often tend to be more bicycle friendly too.

I think scooters & motorcycles encounter many of the same challenges as bicycles, namely:

-being visible to cars

-cars passing or following too closely

I notice this Lake Front Trail sign calls us "Bikers".

I'm with Howard, I say "cyclist".

In the UK and down under they call bicycles "push bikes".  Maybe we should co-opt "pusher" to distinguish ourselves from the motorized contingent.

Pedal Cyclist, Velocipedist?  Or squash them together for "Velocipedalist"?  Nah.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service