The Chainlink

Can we agree that it's bad etiquette to take up both posts of the typical upside down U racks that we have here in Chicago? I always park my bike at a 45 degree angle, which keeps the other post completely free without the bike going to far out onto the sidewalk. But I see a lot of people with their bikes flush against both posts, making it difficult if not impossible for 2 bikes to occupy one rack.

I get that if you have two u locks you have a modicum of additional security by locking a lock on each post- but I think it's still bad etiquette- you could lock one to the rack (front wheel and frame perhaps), and the other could lock the other wheel to the frame. Slightly less secure but still pretty dang secure, without using up more than your share of rack space.

Views: 3006

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, there were times where some one would move a bike to be parallel, or I'd do it, to give room for the other riders. Otherwise, we had to park bikes closer to Michigan Ave.

I think you meant to say "move a bike to not be parallel"

Yes, that's what I meant. 

This thread is pretty funny. I love the passion. 

In front of my office building, the preference seems to depend on the position of the rack.

There are a few racks that are parallel to each other/perpendicular to the street, and everyone parks bikes parallel to these racks:

Down the street there are a handful of racks positioned parallel to the curb, and people typically park their bikes perpendicular to those racks:

I prefer to use two U-locks (one around the front wheel and frame, and a second U-lock around the rear wheel and frame) when I'm locking up, so I always choose racks that are perpendicular to the curb. I've never had a problem locking up to a rack that already has a bike on the other side, and there are usually two bikes on each rack here during the day. If a bike were parked perpendicular with a single lock to one of these, I'd have no issue rotating it so that it was parallel. I'd only do this if it were the last spot open on the racks. 

I do agree that the position of the rack and the number of racks is a relevant consideration.

I would argue that the bike racks in my second photo are installed incorrectly and should have been installed perpendicular to the curb, parallel to each other, so that bikes could park parallel to them. 

Installing U-racks parallel to each other (and using them correctly... which is to park parallel to the rack with two points of contact) is far more efficient and provides more bike parking per square foot, plus as others have noted it provides two points of contact which is more secure and more stable. 

What is this supposed to show? That a bike fell over because it wasn't locked up 'the correct way'? That's a garbage bike. No seat, rusted chain. It's trash. Abandoned junk. Anyone would push that out of their way.

Holt crap this whole thread is brilliant...

OP, the way you lock a bike is wrong and, in the long run, more likely to cause you to end up with a damaged bike than parking in the proper way.

Do you know WHY the parallel against the rack?

It is for 2 reasons:

#A Security.  This position makes it easiest to lock both the front and rear wheels as well as the frame to the rack.

#B Stability. With the bike having two points of contact with the rack and the front wheel stabilized against it you have almost zero chance of the bike falling over even if jostled by others.  The way you park your bike is at risk of taking a dive.

It's really not that hard to lock up with another bike parallel to the rack, rarely do I have issues and it is usually only when there are big baskets or rear baskets involved but even then I can usually manage.

Face fact my friend; you're wrong on this one and just let it go.

Or keep fighting, I am quite enjoying you looking like an entitled doof.

A- I granted in the initial post that there's a modicum of extra security in double locking to the rack. I still think it's more considerate to lock to one post, and you could have a similar degree of security by using your second lock to lock the bike to itself (other wheel to frame)

B- Parking the bike at an angle makes it easier (especially on bikes with less aggressive frames) to loop the U lock through the front wheel and frame. Doing that alone is going to eliminate the possibility of your bike falling, as there's no slack and the bike is locked up tight at this point.

If you look at bikes that are double locked parallel, rarely is there another bike parked next to it. And why is that? Because people would rather just avoid having the issues with getting their bike close enough to either post (especially if there's baskets involved).

Entitled doof? That's rich when the whole premise of my argument is that the angled fashion is more considerate. What's entitled is coming on here calling names like an internet bully or troll.

1. No, there is a TON more security.  Single lock the thief must cut only one u-lock and walk off with your bike...

2. A bike locked frame and wheel on single point can still easily fall depending on your choice of locks.  It's a moot point for me anyway, I only lock my frame.

I dunno, I see pairs of bikes locked to racks all over the place.

Your sense of entitlement is your inability to even a little bit acknowledge that you are, even if not outright wrong, very much in the minority on how to lock a bike but just can't let go.

So grumpy. Maybe put a pic of Bernie as your profile pic? ;-) 

I want to thank you VW for being thoughtful and considerate of others in your attempt to share what is often limited or scarce bike parking space. I for one (and apparently the only one) appreciate your effort. I'm sorry your well-intentioned efforts to educate others met with so much abuse. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service