The Chainlink

I posted this before and I am surprised this doesn't bother anyone.  But, when you're searching around the loop and trying frantically to find a place to park your bike.  And then you come across this.

WP_20140924_001.jpg

Views: 2242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now THIS is bike (and scooter) parking. 300 E. Randolph.

Wow! Along Financial Place north of Van Buren isn't quite as big, but similarly well done.

Eric R said:

Now THIS is bike (and scooter) parking. 300 E. Randolph.

With the return of spring I thought I'd bring this topic back up. Don't be this person. 

Locked up outside the AMC on Illinois around 12:30 this afternoon. 

For this type of rack (single upside U type) this is the correct way to look up. Unfortunately, these racks were installed incorrectly. They should have been installed 90 degrees from their current position. :( 

So it's ok to take up 3 parking spaces with your car because a parking lot was poorly designed? Sorry not convinced this isn't a dickhead way to park your bike. I don't think anyone else would be either if they wanted to lock up here and the other spots were taken. I work a block away and these racks are regularly used and often full. 

Straight for the D, geez.

Ignorant way to park? Yes. Would it be easy to re-position this bike so it is by the flowers? Yes and perfectly acceptable in this situation. At least that is what I would do if the spot next to it was the last.

In this situation, I agree that it would be more civil to lock up with one contact point. I'm really just disappointed that the racks were poorly installed.

There is plenty of space on that sidewalk to install them the other/ correct way. 

+1

The bike is parked properly but the racks are not installed in the correct fashion.

Wow, those racks are WAY too close together and also too close to the raised planter. I took a look through Street View history - these used to be spread apart with more appropriate spacing, but at some point between 2009 and 2011, it looks like they may have redone the sidewalk and repositioned all three racks to be west of the loading zone sign pole, where only one was before.

For the record, the CDOT bike parking program no longer installs the wave-type racks in the initial post for reasons that were mentioned - best practice, according to APBP's Bicycle Parking Guidelines, is for bikes to have two locking/balancing points, and this can be achieved within a similar footprint by installing multiple inverted-U racks placed parallel to each other (perpendicular to the curb).

If anyone is interested, more detailed information on the current guidelines we follow when placing new racks can be found here: http://chicagocompletestreets.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/CDOT-B...

Any word on when new racks will be installed along 95th St. in the streetscape area (Leavitt to Damen)?

This link says Spring of 2015 which is well now.  http://bikeparking.chicagocompletestreets.org/place/258997

Not sure what the status of the streetscaping is but if that's complete then perhaps the Chicago Bike Parking Team needs a reminder. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service