The Chainlink

Views: 1956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chitown_Mike said:

Would it be wrong in a situation like this to find the serial number and run it through some different data bases to see if it was stolen and then notify the owner?  Or could that be looked upon as profiling?

I see a couple problems with this idea:

• Someone might get suspicious about you, then you'd have "some 'splainin' to do, Lucy."
  • Perhaps more problematic, serial numbers can be basically anywhere on the frame (assuming one even exists). I've seen them above and below the bottom bracket, on either dropout, and near the top of either the seat tube or head tube.
In other words, you might look suspicious crawling all over a bike trying to find a series of fiddly little letters and numbers which might not even exist. In addition, there's no guarantee you will even be able to read the serial number if you find it (bad (re)paint, thick powder coat, difficult-to-read location, yadda, yadda, yadda)
Long story short, I think it would probably not be worth it in most cases.

I'm pretty sure in this town you could take out a hacksaw, angle grinder, or even a gas-powered "partner saw" and start attacking a lock on a bike in public and nobody is going to say boo to you unless it happens to be the owner coming back for it. 

Crawling around looking for serial numbers isn't going to draw much attention.  But I agree trying to actually find & read them might be a problem.  Bike serial numbers are a bad joke. 

Chitown_Mike said:

Would it be wrong in a situation like this to find the serial number and run it through some different data bases to see if it was stolen and then notify the owner?  Or could that be looked upon as profiling?

• Someone might get suspicious about you, then you'd have "some 'splainin' to do, Lucy."
  • Perhaps more problematic, serial numbers can be basically anywhere on the frame (assuming one even exists). I've seen them above and below the bottom bracket, on either dropout, and near the top of either the seat tube or head tube.
In other words, you might look suspicious crawling all over a bike trying to find a series of fiddly little letters and numbers which might not even exist. In addition, there's no guarantee you will even be able to read the serial number if you find it (bad (re)paint, thick powder coat, difficult-to-read location, yadda, yadda, yadda)

That's what I thought Skip.  I guess the best thing to do is keep a note, and possibly a picture, and peruse CL for missing bike ads.  I do from time to time and have given sightings to people before, guess that is what I will continue to do.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Chitown_Mike said:

Yes, it is profiling.

There are plenty of people who don't fit a standard (or maybe just your) profile for a serious cyclist.

I don't. I sometimes ride my nice (ish) road bike with clipless pedals in my sandels, cargo shorts, and a ratty t-shirt. Plus, I'm brown - which I'm sure sets off a red flag for some.

We shouldn't make assumptions that allow us to put ourselves in suspicious circumstances, as Skip pointed out. Or at risk of being the victim of an angry legitimate bike owner (not my MO btw).I'm all for doing something when there is credible evidence to warrant it, but please proceed with caution.

Chitown_Mike said:

Why I mentioned it was probably already stolen.

I always keep my eye out for nice bikes in areas where I wouldn't expect them, something custom looking, or make a mental note of where I see a rider on a bike that obviously doesn't fit them (like flip-flops on a clipless type pedal).  Is that profiling?  I probably would have flipped the bike and gotten the serial number and checked it out when I had a chance.  I have all my bikes registered in a few places, including with the Chicago Police.

Chris Hainey said:

Mike,

This was at the Elmhurst Metra station yesterday where I park my bike every day. Don't think it was a "bait" bike, but my thought was that it could be a stolen bike locked by a thief who does not know a Trek Soho with belt drive had a MSRP of $900+.

Mike Zumwalt said:

Yes it's a "bait bike". 

JM 6.5 said:

It's such a nice bike and so easy to steal it's too easy; someone must be watching or it's a trap. Reverse psychology!

I meant no offense, and I hope you took it as such.  I know not every cyclist fits a mold, but I am one of those people that notice little details that others might miss.  A dinky lock on a nice bike would be something I'd see, but I will continue doing what I have been and just be observant but not nosy.

OLB 0.1 said:

Yes, it is profiling.

There are plenty of people who don't fit a standard (or maybe just your) profile for a serious cyclist.

I don't. I sometimes ride my nice (ish) road bike with clipless pedals in my sandels, cargo shorts, and a ratty t-shirt. Plus, I'm brown - which I'm sure sets off a red flag for some.

We shouldn't make assumptions that allow us to put ourselves in suspicious circumstances, as Skip pointed out. Or at risk of being the victim of an angry legitimate bike owner (not my MO btw).I'm all for doing something when there is credible evidence to warrant it, but please proceed with caution.

Chitown_Mike said:

I always keep my eye out for nice bikes in areas where I wouldn't expect them, something custom looking, or make a mental note of where I see a rider on a bike that obviously doesn't fit them (like flip-flops on a clipless type pedal).  Is that profiling?  I probably would have flipped the bike and gotten the serial number and checked it out when I had a chance.  I have all my bikes registered in a few places, including with the Chicago Police.

Chris Hainey said:

Mike,

This was at the Elmhurst Metra station yesterday where I park my bike every day. Don't think it was a "bait" bike, but my thought was that it could be a stolen bike locked by a thief who does not know a Trek Soho with belt drive had a MSRP of $900+.

Mike Zumwalt said:

Yes it's a "bait bike". 

JM 6.5 said:

It's such a nice bike and so easy to steal it's too easy; someone must be watching or it's a trap. Reverse psychology!

OK, let's call it a "victimless profiling" then.

If someone wanted to take it upon themselves to check bikes they see out in the wild against stolen bike databases, I'd have no problem with it as long as they weren't risking their own safety of risking harassing behavior towards a bike owner.

OLB 0.1 said:

Yes, it is profiling.

Chitown_Mike said:

Chris Hainey said:

Mike,

Mike Zumwalt said:

Yes it's a "bait bike". 

JM 6.5 said:

Just don't touch my bike.

No offense taken, at all. I hope my response didn't imply that I did.

I do agree with h' that it is victimless profiling.

My point is just that in a non-competitive cycling scenario, like commuting, it is easy to make a bunch of mistakes if you tried to match every cyclist to the bike type or how they are using it that day. I work on an enclosed corporate campus with nobody under 25 for a half mile in any direction. But on Wednesday there were two BMX bikes locked up at the rack I was at. Does it mean anything? Not to me.

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the discussion. 

I hate bike thieves as much as most here. I've had two stolen in the last 8 years. Not bad in comparison to others I know.

I also make an effort to assist in letting someone know when their stolen bike might be on CL if I come across it. A couple of times in these same forums.

I just don't think it is a good idea to invade other people's personal space, or to handle their property, without something to go on other than intuition.

What I do agree with is that the stickers mentioned in an earlier post are a great idea. Educating others can be the most helpful thing we can all do. Doing it anonymously with a sticker might be more affective than in person. I'd even throw in some $$ to get a batch going. 

Chitown_Mike said:

I meant no offense, and I hope you took it as such.  I know not every cyclist fits a mold, but I am one of those people that notice little details that others might miss.  A dinky lock on a nice bike would be something I'd see, but I will continue doing what I have been and just be observant but not nosy.

OLB 0.1 said:

Yes, it is profiling.

Chitown_Mike said:

Happy to report I the bike has been locked with a quality U lock for the past few times I've seen it. Thanks to all for the input.

Two U-Locks: Good.

Two U-Locks on the front wheel and frame with an unlocked rear wheel with quick release skewer: Not so good.

Kevin C said:

Two U-Locks on the front wheel and frame with an unlocked rear wheel with quick release skewer: Not so good.

Yeah, definite error. Looks like the kind of brain fart I might have if I was in a hurry.

Saw one yesterday at Trader Joe's in Evanston, nice U-Lock attaching the front wheel only to the bike rack. I could see that customer or employee losing most of their bike.

If I would have had a note, I'd have attached it to the bike. Does someone make some quick-n-easy locking tips one could attach to a poorly locked bike? I'm thinking something like the little luggage tags you get at the airport for your bags?

it could've been someones stolen bike so they threw their lock on it till they get the cops who knows 

Kevin C said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service