The Chainlink

I have only been a city bike commuter for about 8 months and I'm often on the Dearborn PBL, Madison path and a few others.

I like to ride fast (relative term, I know) when I can on the bike lanes, but I sometimes come upon a slower rider in front of me. I have always slowed down and stayed behind the slower rider. When we eventually end up at a stop light, I typically wait next to the slower rider and then take off when the light changes, effectively passing him/her through the intersection before getting back into the groove of the marked bike lane.

Do any of you pass people in the bike lanes?

I have been passed in the bike lane before and sometimes it's a surprise, while other times, I'm notified somehow (bells, horns, calling out "passing on your left", etc). 

I know this is similar to discussions we've had on here (many times) about notifying pedestrians on the Lake Front Path, but I don't think I've noticed a thread about passing etiquette in the bike lanes.... specifically the "thinner" lanes like the Dearborn PBL which can get crowded during rush hour commute times.

Your thoughts? 

Views: 1161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a lady with a heavy steel bike who is constantly getting passed (even if I catch up at the next stoplight most of the time) I prefer it when people say "On your left" or ring their bike bell so I know they're coming.

On a particularly grumpy day a while back I made up a PSA as I was riding: "Don't be an ass! Let me know before you pass."

When you're passing, you may not see obstacles like potholes in front of the passee that might make them veer left unexpectedly. I got scoffed at (seriously) once by a dude who was passing me a couple hundred feet before an intersection because I put out my arm to signal a left turn and almost smacked him. Since I had no idea he was coming, I don't know what his problem was.

He deserved to be smacked!  I agree better to make the person you are passing aware.  

I've been startled often when someone passes me, I don't know, and I veer for some reason *like a pothole or car door opening* and almost hit the cyclist.

But at least they pass on the left.  I HATE when I get passed on my right,

Julie Harpring 7.6 miles said:

I got scoffed at (seriously) once by a dude who was passing me a couple hundred feet before an intersection because I put out my arm to signal a left turn and almost smacked him. Since I had no idea he was coming, I don't know what his problem was.

Great points - thank you! That guy completely deserved to be smacked...he's lucky if that's the worst that happens sneaking up on people. Its just dangerous. I see examples of this constantly on the waterfront trail...

Julie Harpring 7.6 miles said:

As a lady with a heavy steel bike who is constantly getting passed (even if I catch up at the next stoplight most of the time) I prefer it when people say "On your left" or ring their bike bell so I know they're coming.

On a particularly grumpy day a while back I made up a PSA as I was riding: "Don't be an ass! Let me know before you pass."

When you're passing, you may not see obstacles like potholes in front of the passee that might make them veer left unexpectedly. I got scoffed at (seriously) once by a dude who was passing me a couple hundred feet before an intersection because I put out my arm to signal a left turn and almost smacked him. Since I had no idea he was coming, I don't know what his problem was.
I'm one of those who's also most often passed rather than passing. I also prefer the "on your left" or bell, and generally thank the person who lets me know they're there.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service