The Chainlink

Bicyclist killed in Dan Ryan express lane

| No Comments

A male victim on a bicycle died after he was struck by a vehicle on the Dan Ryan Expressway tonight, officials said.

The accident happened at about 9:15 p.m. on the northbound lanes of the express lanes near 55th Street, said Illinois State Police Trooper S. Matias.

Police did not have any information about the victim and did not know why he was riding a bicycle on the Dan Ryan.

Matias said the northbound express lanes were being closed to traffic between 55th street and 63rd Street.

Emergency crews were still on the scene investigating the accident as of 9:44 p.m., Matias said.

-- Carlos Sadovi

Views: 839

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I appreciate the notice, but please have the taste to remove your flippant and judgmental graphics-- you have no idea what the story was and even if you did they would still be tasteless.
This was someone's brother, son, maybe father . . .
H3N3 said:
This was someone's brother, son, maybe father . . .

... as are most recipients of the Darwin awards. Doesn't change the fact that they are out of the gene-pool.
While I feel bad for this person....maybe they where TRULY mentally limited.

I feel even worse for the poor driver that was involved...they must feel like crap, I know I would be torn apart.

It will be interesting to see what kind of lawsuites (if any) follow
Maybe he watched this video too many times and wanted to emulate it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NLmiuyLa98

In all seriousness there was probably something up with this guy to try such an obviously bad idea tht late at night & supposedly alone. And in the EXPRESS LANES no less!

Booze, drugs, mental/emotional issues? -or perhaps a real attempt at suicide.

If he had tried it at rush hour it'd probably have been a much better idea as few cars are moving fast enough on the Damn Ryan to not be able to dodge them.
Well, maybe he was stoned or drunk (cyclists NEVER do that!)
Another bicyclist killed, another bunch of posts full of conjecture and uninformed opinions by posters who know nothing more than the news report yet feel compelled to make witty comments.

Some things will never change at the Chainlink
God forbid people be able to conjecture and exercise their free speech.

THERE AUGHTA BE A LAW!

The world is full of people who have nothing better to do than try and silence other people.

Duppie said:
Another bicyclist killed, another bunch of posts full of conjecture and uninformed opinions by posters who know nothing more than the news report yet feel compelled to make witty comments.

Some things will never change at the Chainlink
Obviously nobody here has heard of or remembers Trish Quane, a speech pathologist and mother of young children from Oak Park, and president-elect of the Oak Park Cycle Club at the time she walked in front of a Metra train. I watched with horror as the same disgusting "Darwin Award" comments rolled in on an unnamed bike club list, and slowly it came out who the "idiot" was, and ultimately it came out that the gates were broken and a Metra employee apparently waved her across the tracks to her death.
Good point. I'm sure there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation why someone was out in the express lanes of the Dan Ryan long after nightfall on a bike.

H3N3 said:
Obviously nobody here has heard of or remembers Trish Quane, a speech pathologist and mother of young children from Oak Park, and president-elect of the Oak Park Cycle Club at the time she walked in front of a Metra train. I watched with horror as the same disgusting "Darwin Award" comments rolled in on an unnamed bike club list, and slowly it came out who the "idiot" was, and ultimately it came out that the gates were broken and a Metra employee apparently waved her across the tracks to her death.
As Rick suggested, it's possible this person had a cognitive disability.
With the current lack of safe infrastructure for cyclists, there's not much one would be able to do to prevent such a death without limiting such a person's freedom, but common decency would still prevent a decent person from gleefully dancing around the corpse with taunts and jeers.

Also remember Jepson Livingston-- we had multiple family and friends of the victim find the chainlink discussions via web search, register, and reach out. Would you want this victim's family to read "the age of stupid" and "Darwin Award?"

James Baum said:
Good point. I'm sure there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation why someone was out in the express lanes of the Dan Ryan long after nightfall on a bike.

H3N3 said:
No one is silencing anyone, nor limiting your freedom of speech. (Does anyone even know what "free speech" means anymore? I hear it referenced incorrectly nearly every day.)

The graphics and "Darwin award" comment are cruel and really inappropriate for a cycling message board. We don't know why this man was on the expressway, and we might not ever know. Does it really matter, at this point? Sadly, it seems that some commenters here have nothing better to do than mock the pain and misfortune of others.

James Baum said:
God forbid people be able to conjecture and exercise their free speech.
THERE AUGHTA BE A LAW!
The world is full of people who have nothing better to do than try and silence other people.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service