The Chainlink

Views: 10834

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My heart goes out to Neills family and friends.  At this time I find myself thinking of all of you gathering at the site.  The spot is right outside the window of where I lived, when I lived in Chicago.  So sad.

I would have been tempted, no, let me rephrase that....I would have asked the officer why he was parked there.  Did you say anything?

Jenn_W said:

Couldn't make it out for the vigil. Very glad to see coverage on both fox & wgn (whom made it out there). Hoping that something great will come this tragedy.
The police presence on wells on my commute home was great. (I was annoyed that one police suv just south of Chicago on Wells thought it was a good idea to park in the bike lane, with no lights etc.)

my condolences to the cyclist's family and may he rest in peace,,,or may he eternally enjoy that long bike ride in the sky.....peace my cycling friend.

Exactly! I may use your explanation word for word with new commuters when I'm teaching someone how to ride in the streets .

Skip Montanaro said:

I have one other comment on the general topic of defensive cycling.  In my experience, and it appears many peoples' collective experience, parked cars are at least as much of a hazard as moving vehicles.  (I tend to think that most people park their brains at the same time as they park their cars.) Anecdotal evidence suggests that doorings are the most common form of accidents involving cyclists.  For this reason, I generally ride as far left in bike lanes as I can whenever there are cars parked along the curb.  When there are no parked cars, I move right.  I generally find moving vehicles to be more predictable than parked ones.  By moving left, you require less effort to get out of the way of an opening door, and are more visible to moving vehicles.  You also reduce the space they have to get around you.  Some of them will squeeze by you (and maybe honk at you), but most will move left or slow down.

Be safe,

Skip

Michelle- I was going NB they were parked SB. I was waiting to make the left hand turn and just stared in disbelief. Less than a half mile from this tragedy. I debated making my way back at ask/say something, but I was almost doored less then a block before. So I dont think I might not have been polite and probably very emotional.

I rode by the site of the accident earlier this evening. It was pretty quiet out there. There were a couple of cyclists riding, seemingly oblivious too what transpired early in the day. As I approached the point where I believe the incident occurred, I got off my bike to take in the totality of what happened there. There was a NBC news van sitting approximately 50' north of the Oak/Wells intersection. The driver was in the vehicle engrossed with some activity on his phone. I stood there for a minute, had my thoughts on the matter and then I pressed on wards with my bike ride home.

What happened today was a great tragedy. Yet, are we supposed to accept this as one of the hazards of bicycling in the city? The driver of the parked Nissan Altima was cited for causing the crash. Is that enough? I'm sure he must feel terrible for his actions, and hopefully he will think twice before he acts rashly again. But, there are over 8 million licensed drivers in Illinois. Can this tragedy sway the thinking of even a percent of all those drivers, to mind others on the road?

I hope that people will be able to become considerate to what exists within their surroundings. As a cyclist, I know that my actions my have subsequent consequences far beyond my meager abilities as a man. So I try to remember, there is more than "me" out there in the world.

Be safe.

I hear you sister.  Be safe!

Jenn_W said:

Michelle- I was going NB they were parked SB. I was waiting to make the left hand turn and just stared in disbelief. Less than a half mile from this tragedy. I debated making my way back at ask/say something, but I was almost doored less then a block before. So I dont think I might not have been polite and probably very emotional.

Reviewing the media coverage--the letters/e-mails from members of the chainlink seem to have been considered in updating reports, and it is clear that Ethan and Active Trans have had an impact on the reporting.  One small step for cyclists. . . I was bemused by the comment on ABC local that Active Trans is an advocacy group for cyclists.  True, of course, but it ignores the fact that Active Trans is so much more than that.

Also, those who were able to be at the site tonight, thank you from all of us.  At least WGN (maybe others) were there to broadcast coverage of the vigil.

Thanks to all who attended the vigil, and all those expressing concern here for caring so much.

And especially for all those taking  time to voice your concerns to those who so directly influence public opinion.

I should have the channel 5 piece in my TV app cache-- will go try to 'save' it now.  I missed all the other coverage... got stuck at work and was good for nothing when I got home and went down...

I think this would be great, too. I'm in if we can get something together - maybe next Friday morning during the commute time? It would keep a focus on the seriousness of the issue, and educate drivers. Any weekday would work, just thought marking the day on which it happened might be nice. 

Melissa, would you want to set something up? Would those who rode to the vigil this evening come back? 

Kristy Lapidus said:

I agree Melissa.

Melissa M said:

Might it also be a good idea to gather for a memorial on a weekday morning around the time that it occurred? We could wear white shirts and gather (on the sidewalk?) at the site. It just seems like being there at the time when the area is busiest is a good time to remind people to check for cyclists (and other traffic) before opening their doors.

If we're talking Friday the 19th I took off work and can actually be there...

I'd suggest a new thread for planning since the useability/readability of the current format is hard enough with a handful of posts-- it gets really hard for most to follow with 100+.

(edit-- bad math-- next Friday is the 12th...)

+1

Sarah D. said:

I think this would be great, too. I'm in if we can get something together - maybe next Friday morning during the commute time? It would keep a focus on the seriousness of the issue, and educate drivers. Any weekday would work, just thought marking the day on which it happened might be nice. 

Melissa, would you want to set something up? Would those who rode to the vigil this evening come back? 

Kristy Lapidus said:

I agree Melissa.

Melissa M said:

Might it also be a good idea to gather for a memorial on a weekday morning around the time that it occurred? We could wear white shirts and gather (on the sidewalk?) at the site. It just seems like being there at the time when the area is busiest is a good time to remind people to check for cyclists (and other traffic) before opening their doors.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service