The Chainlink

Views: 10834

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is just so horribly sad. My heart goes out to the cyclist and his family, and the truck driver that found himself in an awful situation this morning as well. It's just tragic. I hope this reminds more people how important it is to check their doors before opening.

This is really sad. No less sad than any other death (cyclist or otherwise) of course. But, I think what bothers me the most about this is that I can clearly see in my minds eye what this poor guy probably saw before this happened.

All of us who ride Wells from North to Kinzie during both rush hours know what a gauntlet that stretch has become. The stretch from Oak to Division puts me on edge every time I ride as there is such a deadly mix of cross traffic, pedestrians and occupied operators going on there.

Mortality checks are always rough, but they are particularly jarring when it could have been any one of us this morning.

And somehow the car door was open....nobody opened it.  I suppose it could have opened itself. Or maybe it had been sitting there stuck in the open position for days or weeks. Or maybe that's just how the car is designed.

Marc-Paul Lee said:

sadly, the take-away for many may be "biking is dangerous" rather than "look before opening your door."  

Anyone up for an organized wake/memorial/awareness gathering at the spot sometime soon, like tonight?

The only way any awareness is going to come about from this incident is to gather numbers, call the media, and plead to the cameras for police to enforce the "opening door into the bikelane" law which is already on the books.  The reality is that Walter Payton students are generally well off and driven to school individually in cars by professional parents on their way to work (or the yoga studio) who by and large completely ignore the newly-installed "Stop for pedestrians in crosswalk" signs and the fact that a bike lane intersects the drop-off roundabout.

I don't take that route often but when I do, you can guarantee being cut-off, right-hooked, and doored within 2 blocks of Walter Payton high school, every time.  And of course, if ever you act out on the adrenaline spike of nearly meeting the same fate after a double-parked Mercedes SUV throws it's door open and the inevitable NorthFaced middle-aged mom on a cellphone gets out, you'll receive the traditional Chicago driver to bicyclist welcome:  "Fuck You!", albeit a little quieter since the kids are getting out.

As the number of bicyclists who are killed as the result of an open car door grows, I don't understand why the media haven't done a 1 minute piece on it, if only to promote a little awareness.  Show a 10 second reenactment from a helmet cam of the cyclist's view of a car door opening into the bike lane and one's limited options at that point.  The problem is obviously not isolated to this area but I would think a recent death at a school and a resultant wake/memorial there would at the very least, signal to the school administrator to distribute a flier to parents picking up/dropping off their children that the way in which they facilitate that seemingly benign daily activity has life/death consequences when they selfishly ignore all common sense and established law.  Since this happened in a actual marked bike lane, close to downtown, I would think that Gabe and Rahm have some responsibility to make official comment, and I would hope that they minimally remind the public that it is law, let alone basic common sense, to look before opening a car door into a traffic, especially a bike lane, especially in a school zone, especially since we know Rahm is all about the children.  Would this actually happen if the bicyclist then took a couple of kids out too or would the situation then instantly devolve into condemning we "renegade" cyclists? 

I'm obviously biased but seriously, if anyone wants to gather in memorial, in the aim of preventing more of these deaths, please count me in.

This is so incredibly sad - condolences to the cyclist and his friends and family.  Everyone please be careful out there!  I'm generally a cautious rider, but I still feel shaken reading this story and thinking about all of the times I have had to swerve to avoid a car door on my daily commute.

Pick a time and a place to gather.

Dirke said:

Anyone up for an organized wake/memorial/awareness gathering at the spot sometime soon, like tonight?

The only way any awareness is going to come about from this incident is to gather numbers, call the media, and plead to the cameras for police to enforce the "opening door into the bikelane" law which is already on the books.  The reality is that Walter Payton students are generally well off and driven to school individually in cars by professional parents on their way to work (or the yoga studio) who by and large completely ignore the newly-installed "Stop for pedestrians in crosswalk" signs and the fact that a bike lane intersects the drop-off roundabout.

I don't take that route often but when I do, you can guarantee being cut-off, right-hooked, and doored within 2 blocks of Walter Payton high school, every time.  And of course, if ever you act out on the adrenaline spike of nearly meeting the same fate after a double-parked Mercedes SUV throws it's door open and the inevitable NorthFaced middle-aged mom on a cellphone gets out, you'll receive the traditional Chicago driver to bicyclist welcome:  "Fuck You!", albeit a little quieter since the kids are getting out.

As the number of bicyclists who are killed as the result of an open car door grows, I don't understand why the media haven't done a 1 minute piece on it, if only to promote a little awareness.  Show a 10 second reenactment from a helmet cam of the cyclist's view of a car door opening into the bike lane and one's limited options at that point.  The problem is obviously not isolated to this area but I would think a recent death at a school and a resultant wake/memorial there would at the very least, signal to the school administrator to distribute a flier to parents picking up/dropping off their children that the way in which they facilitate that seemingly benign daily activity has life/death consequences when they selfishly ignore all common sense and established law.  Since this happened in a actual marked bike lane, close to downtown, I would think that Gabe and Rahm have some responsibility to make official comment, and I would hope that they minimally remind the public that it is law, let alone basic common sense, to look before opening a car door into a traffic, especially a bike lane, especially in a school zone, especially since we know Rahm is all about the children.  Would this actually happen if the bicyclist then took a couple of kids out too or would the situation then instantly devolve into condemning we "renegade" cyclists? 

I'm obviously biased but seriously, if anyone wants to gather in memorial, in the aim of preventing more of these deaths, please count me in.

Another completely preventable tragedy. I'm in for a ride/gathering of silence tonight.

Somewhere, a long time ago, when I had drivers' ed and stuff, I'm pretty sure that I read that it was illegal to exit a vehicle on the traffic side.

Is this still true that you are not supposed to open a car door on the traffic side?

--

Please don't start in about how difficult it is to not exit on the traffic side. I'm merely asking.

Do you mind if I post this elsewhere?

John W. said:

First Friday Ride is meeting at BadHappy one block West of Wells on Oak at 8pm.  We'll roll by around 9.

I doubt this is true.  Otherwise the driver would have no way of exiting a parked car.

Michael J Blane said:

Is this still true that you are not supposed to open a car door on the traffic side?

Most cars have doors on both sides.

uic said:

I doubt this is true.  Otherwise the driver would have no way of exiting a parked car.

Michael J Blane said:

Kids should not be getting out of cars on the traffic side of a vehicle.  They should only get out on the sidewalk side.

Cameron Puetz said:

It's likely that a kid opened the door. The way parents droping kids off park around there has turned ridding that stretch of Wells in the morning into running a gauntlet.

Jason said:

Amber K said:

It was just on the 11 o'clock news. The street is still closed, and the body is still under the wheels of the truck.  No tickets have been issued as of now.  Awful!

That is ridiculous! The driver who opened that door should be ticketed and arrested!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service