The Chainlink

I found this interesting and thought I would pass it on. I never considered the fact that what and how I eat had this much of an impact on anything more than my own health and well being. Chalk one up for the Veggiemonster :)

http://bicycleuniverse.info/transpo/energy.html

Views: 744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ryan I forgot! When I Slow cook Chili i add bacon so yes in fact you can slow cook bacon! ;-) That is your meat meat! ;-)
My slow cooked chili is great! Ground Beef, Onions, Bacon, Beans, HEAT! ;-)
You buy the Spleen I'll do the cookin! ;-)

Jason Smajda said:
I want some. I found a recipe for you.
http://www.realfoodfans.com/2010/05/slow-cooked-spleen-with-bacon.html

Gabe said:
My slow cooked chili is great! Ground Beef, Onions, Bacon, Beans, HEAT! ;-)
Straw Man= something someone says that you don't like?

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
I just wish I could see past the straw man and through all the holier-than-thou BS to his righteousness.

H3N3 said:
He's kind of right though.

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Wow.

Jason said:
And as I said before, "I eat meat because it tastes good" is a weak argument IMO. In light of all the evidence of what the costs of a meat rich diet are to the planet, it's health and ultimately and literally our own health as a species, that's basically the same argument as saying "I have sex with underage girls in brothels in Thailand because it is physically pleasurable."

I know that definition, thanks.
I was just trying to understand how the term gets used on this forum.
It seems to get trotted out mostly by people who are apparently so overcome with emotion that they aren't able to write more than a sentence or two in support of their position.

Gabe said:
Dunno what to tell ya.

I'm totally confused as to how eating meat is on the same moral ground as being a pedophile.

It's not actually a straw man argument (my mistake, I apologize), because the two arguments aren't even remotely similar. Drawing parallels between the two isn't a logical fallacy - because it's not even remotely logical.

H3N3 said:

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
I just wish I could see past the straw man and through all the holier-than-thou BS to his righteousness.

H3N3 said:

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Wow.

Jason said:
And as I said before, "I eat meat because it tastes good" is a weak argument IMO. In light of all the evidence of what the costs of a meat rich diet are to the planet, it's health and ultimately and literally our own health as a species, that's basically the same argument as saying "I have sex with underage girls in brothels in Thailand because it is physically pleasurable."

Eating meat also makes you a gay devil worshipper!

The point is that it isn't okay to do something just because it's pleasurable. I assume you'd accept that it wouldn't be okay to eat meat if a child's head exploded every time you ate a tasty cheeseburger. If you accept that, we're just arguing over exactly how bad the consequences of meat eating are, and whether they're so bad that it's actually wrong to eat meat. There's clearly a parallel, if an over the top one, to taking delight in underage Thai girls.

I wouldn't say the consequences are so bad that no one should eat meat, ever, but I would say that some vast, overwhelming percentage of meat eating is indefensible ethically and possibly morally. I'd also say that calling someone preachy isn't a good way of refuting the point they're making.

I'm totally confused as to how eating meat is on the same moral ground as being a pedophile.

It's not actually a straw man argument (my mistake, I apologize), because the two arguments aren't even remotely similar. Drawing parallels between the two isn't a logical fallacy - because it's not even remotely logical.
A straw man argument would be twisting someone's position to make it sound like they were arguing something much more indefensible than they actually are.

A good example would be, say, if someone were to state that arguing that something, e.g. consuming meat, is OK because it's pleasurable is weak, and then were to give a specific example to illustrate that weakness by giving different scenario in which that sort of argument would be offensive to most, e.g. underage prostitution in a country in which it is widespread, and then someone were to proclaim that that person is trying to say that eating meat is on the same moral ground as partaking of child prostitution- that person would be engaging in a straw-man argument.

You don't know anyone who would do that, do you?

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

H3N3 said:

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:

H3N3 said:

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
Wow.

Jason said:

OK, new chainlink definition of "straw man"-
Any argument presented effectively that doesn't support your position.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service