The Chainlink

Hi,

I just bought a new bike, and was reading the discussion about bike seat thefts recently. Not wanting to have the same thing happen to me, do any of you have recommendations for how best to secure both the bike seat and the front wheel to make it harder for a thief to steal? I have quick-release on both of those parts right now, and that means someone could make off with them in under 5 seconds. I'm willing to spend around $30 for both items, if possible.

Happy cycling,
Garrett

Views: 4367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Garrett,

In terms of the saddle, I'd personally just replace the quick release with a regular seatpost binder bolt. You can get them in just about any bike shop for $5 or so, generally they use an allen key to open. Unless you have a really nice saddle, or actually need to use the quick release to adjust regularly, that will be okay. If you want more, the chain suggestion is a good one.

In terms of the wheels, you could get a locking skewer, but that might be over your price limit. I'd just get another ulock and put it around the frame and front wheel. Or just get a cable (less secure, though) and lasso it around the front wheel and put the other end onto your ulock.
I usually pop off my front wheel and U-Lock through my front wheel, back wheel and seat post. I don't have a QR on my seat post.
On Guard Skewer Sets have worked great for me!

http://www.onguardlock.com/?page_id=329
Cyclists Choice makes a hex skewer/seat post binder bolt set for under $20.

This will stop casual thieves.

Velo Orange makes a similar skewer only set with a hollow hex key with a pin (hard to find) which is more secure. These are under $20 as well.

Using a nontransparent plastic bag to cover your seat also is a deterrent. People don't like looking under dirty looking plastic bags and will leave your seat alone. The bag stuffs under your seat when your bike isn't parked.
For your seat post change it from a QR to a standard binder bolt. Once you change it find a BB (from a BB gun) and super glue/epoxy it in the head of the bolt. Makes it hard as hell to undo even with the proper tools. Make SURE your seat is adjusted BEFORE you do this.
I think this and a cable through the front wheel, along with ulock through frame and rear wheel...Never understood the QR seatpost thing

Joe Willis said:
For your seat post change it from a QR to a standard binder bolt. Once you change it find a BB (from a BB gun) and super glue/epoxy it in the head of the bolt. Makes it hard as hell to undo even with the proper tools. Make SURE your seat is adjusted BEFORE you do this.
Errr, seat tube

Tank-Ridin' Ryan said:
I usually pop off my front wheel and U-Lock through my front wheel, back wheel and seat post. I don't have a QR on my seat post.
Or if you have a soldering iron, you can drip solder into the binder bolt. Removal is done by just heating up the solder again and blowing it out with canned air or an air hose.

Joe Willis said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service